question

stefan-w avatar image
stefan-w asked

Broken - Cerbo GX - Factory reset doesen't work

Hello together,

my Cerbo keeps stopping its tasks. Sometimes it works as it should, then not for hours. Sometimes it accepts settings permanently, sometimes it loses them after a restart. If I can no longer access the system, I restart, then sometimes everything works again, or not.

What have I already done to troubleshoot.

* Factory settings via file venus-data.tgz (does not work, everything is unchanged after the restart

* Firmware update to 3.0 (It worked, but didn't fix the error)

* Firmware downgrade back to 2.9 (It worked but didn't fix the error)

* Deleted mods manually (DBUS for JKBMS and Kostal PICO) (It worked but didn't fix the error)

Is there a way to completely erase and reload the system? I really don't see any other way. Or can I throw away the Cerbo after 4 months of use and swap it for a Raspberry Pi?

For a little backround My config:

3 Phase System with 3 Multipluss 48/5000

Victron Lynx distribution System with Shunt

EM24 energy meter

2x 16S 280ah Battery Packs with Eve LF280 cells and JK-BMS

Kostal PICO 20 and 20kwp PV

Hope someone can help!

Regards,

Stefan

cerbo gx
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Stefan_W

It sounds like you are having heat issues.

1 Like 1 ·
stefan-w avatar image stefan-w Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thank you for this tip! I've checked the temperature :-)

the blue lid has 37 degrees and the base plate between 43 and 52 degrees Celsius. Agreed, it is hot, but to hot? Is there a solution, not breaking the waranty?

and how does this explain that the reset doesn't work?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jons Collasius avatar image Jons Collasius stefan-w commented ·

Concerning the heat:

You can support the natural convection with a fan. You can also place thick nuts under the screws to secure the unit and move it away from the wall.

A gooseneck 5v usb fan is suitable as a fan, which you can plug into the usb port of the device and bend the fan on the gooseneck so that the device is in the air flow.

1 Like 1 ·
stefan-w avatar image stefan-w Jons Collasius commented ·
Thank you! After i got the temperature down, it is working without breakdown!

The Problem with the reset and with the settings, witch are not stored correct is still there. Any Idea for this problem?

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ stefan-w commented ·
No idea for the reset. Have you tried again now that it is more stable?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
stefan-w avatar image
stefan-w answered ·

Hi Together,

Thanks to @Alexandra and @Jons Collasius, i could get the temp down and now it runns stable the wohle day.

I just want to reset the Cerbo to default, due to so many changes I've done in the past, testing some other integration, Like Shelly EM3 and other stuff.

Also there is the problem, that after a Restart, the system loose sometimes the configuration I've done between the last restart. Things like IP Address and also security relevant things in the DVCC settings. At the moment i can't trust the system.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Stefan

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

I looked the system up on VRM; which shows that the data partition was full; last time it reported (9 days ago)

That will cause very strange behaviour: Venus OS is not designed to cope or work around that.

Also I’ve not seen that happen by itself:

Are you using Venus OS large or perhaps otherwise modified the GX device?

Thank you and I’ll help get this sorted, Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ps: I don’t expect that the issue has anything to do with temperature.
0 Likes 0 ·