question

miya avatar image
miya asked

Battery Protect BP220

Hi All

Help please... Yacht 12v System...

4x 330Ah in parallel to Lynx Distributor > Lynx Smart BMS > Lynx Distributor. All loads come off Distributor. After the distributor I have 2x BP220.

• 1 is used for house loads (very low Amps)
  • 1 is used for 2 winches (which will draw much higher Amps).

Testing winches today - 1 winch alone is pulling 100A - and both on are pulling about 200A. With both on, for a short time (seconds), the BP220 cut out for a short moment - then came back on - and I could smell a slight burning smell. I can only assume was the BP220.

Question - is the BP220 suitable for high load winches ? Is it suitable for high currents for short periods of time ? The Amps rating of the BP220 would suggest it is fine.

Any suggestions please ??

Thanks, Tim

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

Take a look here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_protect/battery-protect#downloads

Max. continuous load current: 220 A
Peak current (during 30 seconds): 600 A

You should be fine if your winches really draw 200 A combined. But your start-up current may be higher and the BP-220 cuts out.

With a DC motor, the starting current is approximately the current when the motor is stationary. So measure the resistance across the motor and calculate U/R=I. There you go.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.