question

enda-mcl avatar image
enda-mcl asked

Using L2 on Multi

Hi All. I have an off grid system with a 8kva generator and a 5kva Multiplus. We have all our mains electrical demand feeding off L1 on the multi. We also have an electric pottery kiln which draws about 16amps (for 8-11hrs per load) direct from the generator - not via the multi. Currently, we drop the max amps (on multi) to 12 thus allowing generator space for the kiln. My question - Could I connect the kiln to L2 (live only on generator) on the multi; set the max amps to 28 ( to protect the generator) and let the multi control the flow of power between L1 and L2? The kiln has an on/off program (15sec on then off) for the first few hours, and am concerned this may put excessive pressure on the multi. Any thoughts, concerns or comments welcome.

Generatormultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Enda Mcl in short, your idea sounds fine. The max input for the 5kva is 50amps but with only a 8kva generator you should be well below the maximum input of 50amps.

The main thing to be aware of is when the generator / input to the Multiplus is off, AC out2 disconnects which I assume would be fine as you wouldn't be using the kiln would not be in use without the generator anyway.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop