question

daniel-white avatar image
daniel-white asked

Slightly burnt Multiplus AC terminal block

pxl-20230309-060849094.jpgHi Everyone,

I've seen some topics on this, but my situation might be slightly different. Ive fallen victim to under-tightening the AC neutral out line from my Multiplus 12/3000. It burnt just the end of the wire and charred the terminal block. I striped back to good wire, scraped out the terminal block, and replaced it. I am going to give it a good cleaning later tonight, but for now everything is functioning normal. I am curious on everyone's thoughts on re-using this terminal block or having someone replace the part. It's annoying I can't just buy the part and replace it myself.

Yes I see from the picture I'll need to reduce the wire length to properly insert them according to the manual so that no bare wire is showing.

See picture attached.

Thanks,

Dan

terminals
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

I would power it down make sure the residual current/voltage has discharged the with a bit if wire wool carefully clean inside the block then blow the block from the board out to the bottom with like a PC fan cleaner. Inspect the board for any filing. and that neutral wire I would double it over on itself to increase the surface area that the terminal screws to. You need to clean the terminal as that Charing deposit carbon and that is a hell of a good insulator and that’s not what you want in there. PS double all of them over in like a hook, what wire is that by the way? It looks like ally or copper clad which isn’t the best if you can get copper cable it would be lower resistance hope that helps

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would not like to re-use a terminal that has been compromised in any way,
It would be much better to replace the part.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Agree. Might be an idea to check the cable size as well. Looks to be under sized.
0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

I imagine the terminal block is soldered to the board in which case its messing about with a soldering iron and having the right grade of solder I would attempt that one. but I’m talking out of turn as I have not seen the internal of a Multiplus but that’s how it looks from the board but i imagine someone more adept would put me right on that

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi Dan,

I advise that you immediately decommission this system and contact your Victron distributor to have that unit sent to an authorized Victron Service Centre for a proper out-of-warranty repair. Once things start melting, for the safety of yourself and those around you as well as for the reliability of the system, repair by authorized service personnel is required.

I will also note that this damage will be caused either by improper torque applied to the terminals and/or not actually getting your wire between the terminal clamps to begin with - note that the AC-Out positive wire is clearly mashed to the side of the terminal clamp in your photo, not actually clamped properly at all. The wire also appears to potentially be undersized for the application, and several of the wires are stripped too far back, creating a substantial arcing hazard.

Again, I strongly advise immediate and full decommissioning of this system until you can have the unit professionally repaired, during which time you might more thoroughly study the installation manual to better understand the requirements of proper installation; improper installation of high-current AC and DC electrical components can present significant danger to life and property (not to mention causing system instability), so if it is not possible to install correctly yourself whether due to lack of experience or tools, please engage a reputable and experienced systems installer to re-install the unit to specification after it comes back from the Service Centre!
Improper.png

improper.png (371.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic