question

goozer avatar image
goozer asked

MPPT and Orion-TR Max Current

Installed -

Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30A

Smart Solar MPPT 100/30 - fed by 305W single Victron panel (so 25A max?)

TN Power (LifePO4) 100Ah battery

Installed in a 2022 Fiat Ducato

Battery spec states a max charging current of 50A. If both DC2DC charger and MPPT are running at max charging current this then exceeds the max charging current of the battery.

How do I know if the Amps from the van will ever reach the max 30A from the DC2DC?

Do I need to setup the MPPT or DC2DC config to ensure 50A total max? I do not want to throttle either solar or DC2DC ideally.

I appreciate that in the UK I'm unlikely to see both devices providing the max but I just want to understand and make sure there will be no issues.

Thanks

Guy

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You're only going to get 22A at best from the MPPT (calculate at charging voltage, not nominal voltage).

But you're potentially over the charge limit. Usually the BMS will protect you. Unless you're intending to spend a lot of time in sunny places, I'd be tempted to do a sanity check with the battery maker, and leave as is.

Otherwise it's very easy to set a charge current limit in the MPPT using Victron Connect and your phone. Do that on the sunny days when you drive and don't forget to reset once you park up.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You could also set it permanently to 20A. You're going to lose almost nothing.
0 Likes 0 ·