question

Matěj Liška avatar image
Matěj Liška asked

Solar charger Error code 87 - PV input shutdown, is it safe to disconnect solar panels?

Hi, I just got one of my SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2 into this error: Solar charger Error code 87 - PV input shutdown. First it got into Error 39, after minute it went to error 87. This MPPT has the latest Firmware (v3.13)

The documentation says I should disconnect solar panels. Just to be sure I have only PV fuseholders on these strings (no DC circut breaker). Is it safe to disconnect them now during day? Isn't there any danger making DC spark/welding?

I have measured voltage around 250 mV. But current is like 6,7 Amps. I have 6s2p strings with 410 Wp panels so for this MPPT it's 4,9 kWp.

In case my VRM ID: 48e7da8898eb Thanks!

MPPT Controllerssmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matěj Liška avatar image
Matěj Liška answered ·

Well it looks like faulty MPPT. After 750 kWh.

I disconnected PV array, measured everything... Hope to get warranty replacement soon.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Error 39 is the older code for the 87.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/mppt-error-codes#err_38_err_39_and_err_80_to_err_87_-_pv_input_shutdown

What were all the battery settings?

Did you reconnect and try again as per the instructions?

A dc disconnect would definitely be a good addition as well. Useful for maintenance purposes as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matěj Liška avatar image Matěj Liška Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks @Alexandra

I have proceeded according to manual, disconnected PV (I found out it is safe, It's fuse holder with arc extinguish capability), disconnected positive fuse for MPPT. Waited about 10 mins. Then positive to battery, then PV. Error is gone, but battery voltage is around 50V and PV voltage is like 50,2V. 0A.

I have measured PV strings and all seems fine.

I also did complete shutdown of system disconnected all batteries and devices. No luck.

I did not try reset procedure of latching relay (my S/N doesn't fit HQ21269Y4NJ).

Now I have disconnected this MPPT from system. Now I'm waiting for further instructions from supplier/Czech local service center/or you guys from the forums :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Matěj Liška commented ·
@Matěj Liška

At this point if the PV voltage is not reading correctly is is most likely going back to the supplier.

They will likely want the panel information and config etc. Maybe some pictures of the install.

1 Like 1 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton commented ·

How did you get on? I've had the exact same issue this afternoon also with my SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100 rev2. Your case is the only one I can find.

I've tried resetting once without any success, I'll try again and also try turning it into standalone mode at the same time, but i'm not hopeful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matěj Liška avatar image Matěj Liška dancrompton commented ·
Hi sorry for late reply, I got mine replaced under warranty.
1 Like 1 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton Matěj Liška commented ·
No probs. Me too. Eventually.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic