question

jonnyhottub avatar image
jonnyhottub asked

Solaredge ac input dropping connection

I have a Solaredge SE4000 connected to Phase 1 AC input and 95% of the time the Cerbo see the unit and calculates everything smoothly. The solar edge drops connection occasional once or twice every five mins. (It was the same on another modbus slave so its a solar edge issue) problem is I think it throws the ESS monitoring out for a few seconds when it connects and goes, would it be more sensible to put a grid meter on the solar edge and use that instead?

Modbus TCPsolaredge
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @jonnyhottub

AC Meter would solve your problems I'd imagine given you're on ACIN.

If you're on AC OUT was guna say there may be further communications between Cerbo and router for frequency shifting etc but on ACIN you wont need/have that.

I had issues with some solar equipment awhile back (not Solar edge though) it was not getting on with DHCP in my router (the inverter i had was randomly requesting new IP from my router very often and that lined up with the disconnections i was seeing).

Setting a static IP in my router for the inverter resolved my problem but mine was cutting out far less often than once every 5mins. A long shot but thought i'd share just in case that randomly resolves it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonnyhottub avatar image
jonnyhottub answered ·

Thanks, both the Cerbo and Solaredge have a static IP. From what I can see it's a timing issue with Solaredge but just thinking of a work around. I don't know how much ESS relies on the solar edge data input

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Ahh that's a shame would've been a nice easy fix for you.

Energy meter is a decent work around tbf.

How long is it down for when it's down?

And does it ramp down/up or just dorp and reconnect back to original value.

If it's on ACin side I imagine the inverter tries ramping up when it goes down to cover loads on ac in. If it's instantly down and back I cant imagine it's impacting too much as it'll take inverter a few seconds to adjust its input/output for the change/disappearance of solar. Still a pain for you regardless though.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Modbus TCP Basics