question

aioannidis avatar image
aioannidis asked

Fuses only on positive?

I have found two contradicting pieces of information while figuring out how to proceed with my next installation.

On one hand, Victron states that negative DC should not be interrupted by a fuse or a switch. On the other hand, in one of the training videos, it is clearly shown and stated that there should be fuses on both negative and positive poles between the battery rack and the DC bar.

Can somebody please enlighten me?

victron community
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@aioannidis@engaia.gr

It depends on where the break is, local regs and what type of system. And i assume you are recfering to the DC side here (i have had people refer to ac neutral as negative)

In a three phase you should not break DC negatives between units, but some regulations state both must be broken. So you can break both after the busbar going down to the battery.

On a single phase, single inverter breaking both for total isolation is fine.

So not contradictory, just there are many factors to fuse location and implementation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic