question

brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver asked

Multiplus switch ON, Cerbo shows Charger Only

Been on tha hard, installing Victron Smart Lithium, BMS, Battery Protects, etc. All updated firmware, etc. Powered up in Charger Only, works fine, charges properly. Powered up in Inverter On, cut shore power, Multi goes off, Cerbo shows Multi still in Charger Only. What am I doing wrong?

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@brewgyver

Check in the devices list on the cerbo under the multiplus - switch state -... It may be in charger mode in the software switch.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver answered ·

Yes, it is. But with a VE.bus BMS connected, the switch is disabled in Cerbo. Do I need to temp disconnect the BMS?

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@brewgyver

This is a typical behaviour when AC input (shore power) is present but the VE.Bus BMS signals a low cell voltage, so that it can recharge the battery.

Check the cell voltages of your battery.

2 comments
2 |3000

brewgyver avatar image brewgyver commented ·

Two Lithium 12/200 Smart Lithium, both at 100%, all cells balanced.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ brewgyver commented ·

Then please share a wiring diagram or photos of your installation where we can see how everything is wired.

All updated firmware

What's the Multi firmware?

edit: I only read now that shore power is cut. What's the Cerbo's firmware and please share a screenshot of the Multi in the Device List.

0 Likes 0 ·
brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver answered ·

Two 12/200 Smart Lithium, all cells within .01 volts of each other. At 100% SOC, all cells balanced. I'm beginning to think this issue was caused by booting the system up with the Multi switch already in Charger only position, which the Cerbo locked in. The manual does make it clear that:

"Note that it will not be possible to control the On/Off/Charger Only switch. This option is automatically disabled in the Cerbo GX menu when a VE.Bus BMS is used. The only way to control a Multi or Quattro when used with a VE.Bus BMS is to add a Digital Multi Control to the system. Setting the input current limit is possible in systems with a VE.Bus BMS."

I read that to mean that the switch option in the Cerbo is disabled, but the physical switch on the (new) Multi doesn't seem to work, either.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@brewgyver

If you disconnect the ve bus bms does the system switch to pass through?

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Interesting. In this case there is not really a condition that makes the inverter not wanted to work.
If there is a Cerbo GX you would see the status of the BMS properties..
Is the VE.Bus connector clean? Is there no PIN bent in the connector of the BMS signals from the SmartLithium? is there a LED ON on the VE.BMS ?

Rob

2 |3000

brewgyver avatar image
brewgyver answered ·

Thank you all. To recap, yes, the BMS Status and Cell LEDs were indicating normal, and all of the cable connections were good.

I turned off 12 volt power to the Multi and disconnected the VE.Bus from the BMS, restored 12 volt to the Multi and then reconnected the VE.Bus to the BMS. This time the Multi stayed in Inverter mode, and the Cerbo showed the proper switch state for the Multi. Ran the boat overnight in Inverter mode, including high draw galley appliances, and all worked fine.

I think it's worth mentioning that I've found apparent disparities with some of the VE documentation. The Cerbo GX manual specifies: "• Connect the Cerbo GX to the socket labelled ‘MultiPlus/Quattro’, or to one of the Multis/Quattros in the system. Do not connect it to the Remote panel socket on the VE.Bus BMS." BUT, several of Victron's System Schematics show the Cerbo connected to the Remote jack on the BMS.

1 comment
2 |3000

BUT, several of Victron's System Schematics show the Cerbo connected to the Remote jack on the BMS.

Do you have some examples or links about this? Happy to correct the documentation if necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic