question

tuky avatar image
tuky asked

AC coupled 3 phase overload

I have a 3 phase off grid system with 3x 2000W Compact Phoenix Inverters (same as Multis, just there is no Ac input). I don't have installed ESS but PV inverter assistant. I would like to add some PV AC coupled with Fronius 3 phase inverter on the AC output. According to the 1.0 rule, I could add 6kW Fronius Symo inverter which can have a maximum current on one phase 13.5A (arround 3kW on a 230V system). But I am concerned with possible overload in the case of high load on one phase.

Example:

Fronius is producing 4kW from PVs which is equally divided charging the batteries through the three Victron inverters. If I switch on a 3kW load on a one phase what is happening?

1) Fronius is giving 3kW to the load, and the remaining 1kW will go through the remaining two inverters and charge the battery?

2) Or every phase will get 1/3 (1.33kW), and the rest of 1.7kW for the load will be supplied through the Victron inverter from the battery. In that case Two inverters would be charging and one would be discharging the battery.

I suppose that answer number 1) is correct. In that case, when the load is disconnected, will the Victron inverter on this phase have to absorb all the 3kW power and be overloaded (exceeding 1.0 rule) or the Fronius will manage to balance load through the other phases?

Then maybe it would be better to couple three 2kW grid tie inverters, one on the each phase.

AC PV Coupling3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That setup is not supported, you can't connect AC PV inverters to the output of a Phoenix inverter.

A Phoenix inverter doesn't have the electronics to charge surplus energy into the battery.

You will need a MultiPlus for that.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tuky avatar image tuky commented ·

Thank you for your answer. It is less common, but it will work. For example - in the article https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start it says: "In an AC-coupled system, a grid-tied PV inverter is connected to the output of a Multi, Inverter or Quattro."

I have already tried it in a one phase system and parallel setup of the Victron inverters with the SMA Sunny Boy and it is working. Phoenix Inverter (not Smart model) has all the functions as Multi just does not have an AC input.

0 Likes 0 ·
tuky avatar image tuky commented ·

Also on the page for PVInverter Support Assistant https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:pv-inverter-support it is said: "Compatible with Multis, Quattros as well as Phoenix Inverters that have a VE.Bus connection."

0 Likes 0 ·
tuky avatar image
tuky answered ·

I have asked Fronius, and got an answer that 3-phase inverters operate symmetrically and are producing equal power on all phases. So the correct answer would be number 2).

2 |3000