question

jdesignsolutions avatar image
jdesignsolutions asked

Is it possible to have 2 bmv units operating from one shunt i.e display in two locations please?

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jdesignsolutions avatar image jdesignsolutions commented ·

To clarify, I have a shunt on house bank with a bmv on fuse board to enable easy monitoring.

This is in an electrical cupboard.

However, it would be useful to have the bmv in a main companionway to enable easy day to day monitoring of state of charge.

Is there any way to split cat5 from shunt to send to two bmv units?

Many thanks

Best regards

J

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

You can absolutely do this. You need to put two of the BMV shunt circuit boards on a single shunt, so you'll have to get creative and add a little wiring to make that work.

Once you do, however, both BMVs will read off the same shunt. I have this setup full time in my configuration.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Nice idea.

Is there a slight difference in calculations, or are the readings exactly the same?

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

There is a difference in readings -- the raw sensor error and the nature of the way the error accumulates over time mean that one will probably always be different than the other.

That said, as long as you have a setup where both of your BMVs can "resync" to 100% from time to time, in my experience they don't get too far apart. Maybe 3-4% after several weeks in my case?

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ ben ♦ commented ·

thanks ben.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdesignsolutions avatar image jdesignsolutions commented ·

Hey Ben, that's great. Thankyou for the input! Any risks/tricks to be aware of when mounting second bmv driver?

Cheers

J

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ jdesignsolutions commented ·

No tricks, it's pretty straightforward. I mounted both of them on one of the two shunt holes using the same screw. That leaves one side hanging off the edge, and you can make a small lead from it back to the one that's installed normally. You just need to put them in parallel with each other, in other words.

Someone at Victron told me there could be measurement error as a result of doing this, but it wasn't obvious to me how that could be the case, and I don't see it in real life. I think they were just being cautious.

1 Like 1 ·
vuaillat avatar image vuaillat ben ♦ commented ·

Hi Ben,

I would attempt the parallel mounting you experienced.

1. I am not quite sure to understand this mounting. On the shunt, the card is held by 2 screws. But it's not possible to add a second card, due to the RJ12 connector, unless the second card is tightened with only 1 screw and makes a quite big angle with the first one. Futhermore, you need to draw a wire to connect to the other screw.

Thus, this makes a parallel mounting : the current between the "Battery" and the "controler" screws will then be divided in 2. Will this affect the measures ?

Thanks to clarify.

2. I personally imagined another solution : using a male-female-female RJ12 connector, to connect directly the 2 BMV to the same shunt. Will this work ?

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ vuaillat commented ·

Yes, I have the two cards at 180 degrees with each other, and a wire connects the two far screws.

Shunts work by measuring a voltage, not a current, so having two cards in parallel does not divide the measurement.

I don't think you can split the RJ12 signal up. I didn't try that myself, but I think I remember being told it was not possible. Then again, you could give it a try and see for yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·

Many thanks. That's much clearer.

I will try to split the RJ12 signal, if no danger !, and let you know the result.

But I fare that it will be messy because the protocol bet. the board and the controler might be bidirectional.

0 Likes 0 ·

I made the mounting of the 2 cards as explaiend, and it works well.

It took me a while to decide to try to split the RJ12 signal (afraid of the consequences ...). It DOES NOT work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I am not sure if it is possible, but I don’t think the displays are sold individually either.

Why not just run two shunts side by side?

2 comments
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·
There are a lot of downsides of adding a second shunt: it adds a lot of (heavy and awkward) wiring that can become another point of failure, it creates more resistance at all those interconnection points, and it takes up more space.

Otherwise, it is a good idea. :)

1 Like 1 ·
Allan Yates avatar image Allan Yates commented ·

Just to be clear to everyone, when multiple shunts are used, they need to be in series.

Allan.

1 Like 1 ·
Chris avatar image
Chris answered ·

I'd buy an older droid or iOS device and just stream data to where you want it. You could attach to a wall, or move around. This assumes you have a Bluetooth device. This is what I do.

2 |3000

Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

I have an equal but opposite issue, my battery bank was originally 24V, consequently the copper cables were huge and many.

I don't want to swap them now I've gone 48V.

I want to know if I can run multiple shunts, parallel on the primary, series on the secondary, to 1 BMV.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic