question

Bill avatar image
Bill asked

Cerbo wired DHCP request problem?

Over the last few months been seeing my Cerbo stop sending updates to VRM and it requires me to power down the cerbo to get it sending updates. The last two times I looked at my routers logs and noticed its requesting a new DHCP lease over and over. (not normal) Is there a know bug? Currently its offline so I cannot see what firmare its running, but after the last time it happened I did update it. So its not more than a few weeks since getting the newest update. DHCP is always been fine, heck I've been using it in large corporations since the early 90's (started with bootp back then) I hated the composition notebook of assigned IP addresses. I have never seen a device ask for a new lease over and over again. (that I can recall) I guess I could hard code the address but that seems so 1980's to me.. Is my cerbo trying to go kaput? -Bill

Here is a pic of the event log: Event Log

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Bill

This may be a bug in VenusOS (so all GX's), but I haven't been able to pin it down enough to warrant a report.

My workaround is to use the Automatic ip configuration in the Ethernet GX screen, reboot GX. It gets address, then I change it to Manual. And it stays there.

This also works for Wifi, and I use both for failover, perhaps the reason I can't pin it down. But I don't lose VRM connection.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·
Yeah, that's what I did last night. I didn't want to spend any more time on it right now. Trying to get everything ready for a 6 month trip to Alaska.
0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

I purpose the 29 is the Cerbo you are talking about. But there is also the 22 and 15 in the logs. The 15 also gets 2x a lease in 6 seconds. Is there a switch or hub in between?

1 comment
2 |3000

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·

Yes, like all but the tiniest of networks there is a switch between the router and devices. The 15 and 22 are cheap $20 camera devices on a WiFi network, occasional packet losses are normal for them. The cerbo is on a short cat 5 cabled network. 14 dhcp requests in less than 24 hours with a 7 day lease on an ethernet network seems like something is broken. Nothing else on that gig switch is doing that. I have moved the Cerbo to a static IP till I find out why the cerbo is giving me problems with its address aquisition. -Bill

0 Likes 0 ·