question

mahargrenrut avatar image
mahargrenrut asked

Adding smartsolar MPPT 8100/20 with bmv 702

Hi,

I have been running a bmv702 with bluetooth dongle for a while successfully. It has always shown accurate SOC readings. Since I have installed an MPPT controller the SOC is alway 95% - 100% even when the batteries are low. Current and voltage all seem correct except for SOC. I am wondering if I have wired incorrectly - should the MPPT negative battery connection be on the battery side of the shunt ? If anyone has a diagram I would be grateful - thanks

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the negative from the MPPT controller should be connected to the load side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mahargrenrut answered ·

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

I believe that I have all the correct connections but I am getting incorrect SOC readings.

Please see attached images.

Thanks

2 |3000

mahargrenrut answered ·

After many months of trying to resolve this I have finally found out the issue. The four exide 115ah batteries were end of life. I have replaced them with four new ones and the bmv702 is now reporting correct settings. I have noticed many people with inconsistent SOC values and believe that they probably have faulty batteries. I am assuming that the bmv registers the charging energy but the faulty batteries (sulphated plates) are not absorbing the energy and thus giving false SOC readings.

2 |3000