question

mrtn avatar image
mrtn asked

Power Control to heating element

Hi,

Is it OK to use a Power Control device to control the power consumed by a 3Kw resistive heating element on a Quattro 8kw inverter? https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/1525/0900766b81525963.pdf

My concern is EMI and waveform deformation on the inververter output.

If above is problematic, can a zero crossing Power Control deivce (SSR) be less of a problem than a Phase Angle fired SSR?

Thanks

design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

If EMI is an issue for you, you'll have to do some prototyping and test it out against your EMI requirements.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Can't speak to the Proportional SSR you noted above. I am using a Crydom PMP 2425W, link is below.

http://www.crydom.com/en/products/catalog/pmp-nova22-proportional-control.pdf

I am currently testing to determine if there any negative effects to using a proportional SSR with my Quattro 48/5000 120V inverter charger.

The below scope traces were captured with the following parameters:

1. The blue trace is Voltage measured at the AC source.
2. The red trace is Amperage measured at the load.
3. Load is a 1320W resistive heating element.
4. Relay was set at 50% output, or in this case 12.5A at 120V.
5. The Crydom SSR can either use phase angle or what Crydom calls "Burst Mode" control. Details are in the datasheet link above.

The first trace shows the relay operating in burst mode, the second is phase angle control. A measurement table is at the bottom of both traces.

In both cases the frequency is very stable with burst mode the best. A slight voltage drop is noted in both cases, with the waveform remaining uniform in burst mode and notched in phase angle mode.

Pat

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic