question

cklio avatar image
cklio asked

250|100-Tr VE.Can MPPT to computer - cables needed?

Hi, as the title suggests, I'm looking to see what cable is used to connect a 250|100 VE.Can smart solar controller to a computer to monitor and control the device. As I understand it this can be done with a VE.Direct cable, and possibly the VE.Can port. So in this case you'd use the VE.Direct--> USB dongle, but I'm not sure how else you could monitor through VE.Can protocol - would that just be standard RJ45 ethernet cable from charge controller --> computer?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

MPPT Controllerscommunication protocol
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Cklio
The ethernet port on a computer does not use CAN protocol.

You would use still need a can interface, so you may as well buy the supported ve direct to usb cable.

1 Like 1 ·
cklio avatar image cklio Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra,

thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking as well. I'm brushing up on my communications knowledge for this reason - I'm sorely lacking. I was already leaning towards using the method that is sure to work, but would prefer to understand where I'm missing in my info regarding the VE.Can communication. It's there - so is it only there to-be-used with a GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ cklio commented ·
No you can also get can to usb converters. Can hats for pi's etc

But not tried them not trying to re invent the wheel.

What kind of control do you want over the mppt?

0 Likes 0 ·
cklio avatar image cklio Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hey Alexandra,

Just trying to access control settings of the MPPT without using the bluetooth feature, so VE.Direct is more than sufficient here. All good - I can continue searching on my own about communications but really appreciate your replies.

Thanks, and take care.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic