question

whyisty avatar image
whyisty asked

Shunt install question

First time installing shunt. I have a Victron BMV700, i know i should have only one negative cable going from the accessory battery ground to the shunt and all other grounds after the shunt, but with limited space under the hood of my jeep and a specific battery layout with the battery tray i have to plug the starter ground cable in the accessory battery's ground post and then ground the two battery's together. 1st Question. How will this effect my VictronBMV? it reads outgoing amps but never shows a charge from the charger. 2nd Question. Should my charger ground go to the shunt or is it ok grounding to chassis.

i hope this is not to confusing.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_1270.jpeg

BMV Battery MonitorGrounding
img-1270.jpeg (2.9 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

From the picture, it iseasy to see that the shunt is being bypassed via the chassis. The charge current from the charge will not be measured by the shunt.
If your charger negative was to be connected to the shunt rather than the chassis then I think that would solve that particular problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page