question

kire-spasov avatar image
kire-spasov asked

can I power 2 houses with one PV system?

Home user here. I have 18kw PV system with on grid Fronius Symo 15.0.3 phase inverter and Fronius smart meter. For the moment providing electricity for one house with 1 AC (grid) meter.
my other house is just 40 meters away but has separate grid connection 2nd AC (grid) meter.
Is there any way to use same PV system to power up both houses (2 different AC grid connections)?

AC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Depends entirely on how much capacity in your system vs the demand of the two houses, then how the wiring in the service panels are set up, utility company restrictions, local code requirements, and a whole lot more.

Your solar system can be looked at as a power station, similar to the utility company. They all have to play nicely together, as well as being law/code complaint. Your best option would be to contact a qualified and licensed electrician and walk him through what your dream is...then allow him to share reality with you. Oh, and bring your checkbook.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kire-spasov avatar image kire-spasov commented ·

Yes my solar system is registered as a power plant, as a household consumer/producer of electric energy. I have bi directional utility grid meter from utility company. Yet law of selling electricity is valid since last year but sub law acts are still not implemented and I am not able to sell my surplus energy yet. during winter I spend a lot of electricity because I heat my house but during spring, summer, autumn I have a lot of surplus electricity that I want to use for self consumption on my other house that has one direction utility meter. Both utility meters are standing at same place next to each other.

1676446790036.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1676446790036.png (73.4 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Kire Spasov

Yes there is.

For obvious reasons you would need to have a good systen size and config as has been mentioned already.

A good sized armoured cable connection to the second house, with appropriate breakers and protections on both sides.

Use a bypass or a changeover switch to treat the solar system connection in the secondary house as a generator or back up system, have them on ac out 2 on the inverter in the main house, programmed to switch off on overloads.

2 |3000

pv-bauer avatar image
pv-bauer answered ·

Hi,
I have nearly the same situation.
Two bulidings with two Grid Power and two Grid Power Meter.
The AC Grid Power comes from two different main circuits in the streets.

- My first Idea was to use Quattros with AC IN 1 and AC IN 2.

- Second Idea was to build two separated 3-Phase MultiPlus-II systems with two CerboGX one in each buliding, but on DC side two 48V shunts in serial and only one 48V Battery in the middle.
(Activate DC system in Cerbo, so each Cerbo will see the other system charging and load current as DC system)
(Both 3-Phase MultiPlus-II Systems connected to the same Busbar).
(PV-Inverter conected to AC OUT 1)

By this Way, both Buildings are on Grid AC side completly separated, but you can shift the (PV) power from one building to the other building over the 48V DC Battery.

If AC Grid IN in house 1 fails, you have a Backup AC Grid IN from house 2.
You can bidirectional feed in the PV-Power to both AC Grid IN from house 1 and house 2.

Actually just a idea ...

2 |3000