question

danielhedstrom avatar image
danielhedstrom asked

HTML 5 app on Garmin 922 with RPI

Hi,

Im trying to get the HTML 5 app working on may Garmin 922. Ive enabled MQTT on LAN (both options) and connected the Ethernet port to the marine network port on the Garmin, and set up WIFI on the RPI to communicate with my wifi router. That is, I've tried to follow the instructions for the Cerbo GX setup with a Garmin MFD.

However, I don't see the Victon HTML 5 app on the Garmin device.

Any ideas?

Running the latest firmware on the Garmin, and Venus OS 2.92 on the RPI.

Raspberry Pimarine mfd apphtml5
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@danielhedstrom

Can you see communication between the GX and the MFD (somewhere in the network settings of your MFD)?

And did you use the original Garmin network cable as instructed in the guide? AFAIK Garmin uses crossover cables and has a different pinout than straight ethernet network cables.

See: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=MNUtEt8k5EA2s8dR9eqIQ9

And: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Marine_Ethernet.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
danielhedstrom avatar image danielhedstrom commented ·

Hi, thanks for your quick response!

I don't have the Cerbo, running on a Raspberry pi 3b+, hope I posted in the right place, modifications?

I thought it was a regular cable, I will need to check this, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ danielhedstrom commented ·

Yes, I meant GX in reference to Venus OS on your Pi. Modification space is perfectly fine :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
stephenm27 avatar image stephenm27 commented ·
I, too, have been trying to do this for some time. To date, I cannot successfully reverse engineer what the Garmin MFD expects in order to render the Victron app icon as a OneHelm app on the MFD display.

My setup is also a RPi, Garmin 922xs+. Connection to the Garmin IP network is verified (and utilizes standard eth cable btw).

There are various different multicast broadcasts that the Garmin routinely transmits, but the one I have found most likely involved, is the UPnP discovery probe to 239.255.255.250 port 1900 (5 sec periodicity). I have responded to this probe with a resource location url (of the Victron app entry point) which the Garmin subsequently accesses via HTTP, but the process ends there. No further communications occurs (beyond the continued repetitive mcast data and probes) and no app icon shows up.

A wireshark/tcpdump capture of the successful communication exchange (between a Cerbo GX and MFD) would help immensely if someone is willing/able to provide one...

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:mfd-garmin

and

Marine_Ethernet(1).pdf

The Garmin Marine Ethernet leaflet is suggesting an Ethernet Cross Cable pins 1+2 and 3+6 crossed

If a crosscable is not available, maybe use a small 100mbit switch with auto mdi/mdix the you can see you have a link (connection)

marine-ethernet1.pdf (260.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stephenm27 avatar image
stephenm27 answered ·

Update: I have now been able to successfully get the Garmin 922xs and RPi to communicate.

Specifically, I can now run my custom html5 app on the MFD, using the OneHelm mechanism. In short, the multicast DNS and UPnP daemons are required. These two services advertise configuration info that the Garmin expects to retrieve in order to render a OneHelm application.

2 comments
2 |3000

jpruel avatar image jpruel commented ·
is it possible to give us the recipe you are using to be able to show a custom icon and web page on your MFD

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
stephenm27 avatar image stephenm27 jpruel commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
chronix avatar image
chronix answered ·

Hi

could you please share you HTML5 code for me to take a look. I would like to build one for my own use as well.

please send an email to me at damiangohyk@gmail.com

thanks

2 |3000

kurtinge avatar image
kurtinge answered ·

I had to use a network cable and not the wlan against my B&G. After that everything was working fine. I know my neighbour also had to use cable at his Raymarine MFD

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image