question

Hannes Swart avatar image
Hannes Swart asked

Why would my generator all of a sudden not charge my battery

The generator auto starts when the battery reaches 21% but does not charge the battery

Generatorgenerator auto start
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Hannes Swart

Does the inverter accept the incoming power from the generator and connect to it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Sometimes only after i reboot and restart the inverters

Does the detect genset on ac need to be toggled on as its off at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Hannes Swart commented ·

@Hannes Swart

On the newer firmware, you can set the grid input as other to relax tolerances on the quattros for generators such a wide frequency on the second input. Maybe try a full system update and reconfigure to take advantage of it with some of the suggestions in the article that @JohnC linked.

If it was working and now not, the generator is likely not operating within tolerances anymore.

Maybe it needs a service or tune up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart Hannes Swart commented ·

The generator starts but no power is detected

0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The inverter was accepting the power from the generator till this weekend when it stopped, the conditions set still work and the generator comes on automatically, but no power is fed through the inverter.I have 3 x quattro 48/5000 set up for 3 phase one inverter for each of the 3 lines
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Hannes Swart commented ·
So you need to check the incoming voltage, frequency etc. And wiring. Maybe something has worked loose?

Does the gx show voltage in at the terminals?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

When my genny stops charging (or powering anything) I first check the circuit breaker on the generator. It's only tripped once on my genny in 5 years now. But it had me scratching my head for a bit. -Bill

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·
The circuit breaker is fine, i have to reboot the colour display and switch the inverters off and on for it to start charging..
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Hannes Swart

There's some general stuff here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

That's if you have a Muliplus or Quattro. But you give no information to work with..

2 comments
2 |3000

Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·

I have the Quattro and this is the error message received

VE.Bus Error 10: System time synchronisation problem occurred

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Hannes Swart commented ·

@Hannes Swart

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

Probably from mucking about with restarts. Unlikely anything to do with a genset.

0 Likes 0 ·