question

carl-dewever avatar image
carl-dewever asked

buck-boost connected to LiFePo4 batteries

Hello,
I am planning a buck-boost between my alternator and service battery (LiFePo) on my boat.
This is a non-victron lifepo-battery with REC-BMS.
Should I put a smartshunt between the battery and buck-boost to prevent overcharging? Or can I switch off the buck-boost with a relay signal from the REC BMS?
Thx
Carl

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

A SmartShunt is for battery monitoring, it won't directly prevent a battery from being over charged.
The Buck Boost has an input to switch it on or off externally, like a relay contact from your REC system.
Check out the Buck Boost manual for hardware details:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Buck-Boost-DC-DC-converter-EN-NL-FR-DE-SE-RU.pdf

Within the manual is a screenshot of the software and you can see what options are available to configure the input to your needs.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

remcomeeder avatar image remcomeeder commented ·
You can also install the software for the Buck-Boost and use the built in demo mode. Gives nice insights in the workings.
0 Likes 0 ·