question

tony-from-west-oz avatar image
tony-from-west-oz asked

VictronMultiPlus-II 48/5000/70 Adding Generator to Charge the Battery

I have a stand alone system with this Inverter and solar battery system using Outback MX89 MPPT Chargers and 32KVA LiFePO4 battery.
I had my electrician connect the my 7.5KVA generator to AC 1 in to allow it to be used in extended overcast conditions to recharge the battery and take most of the load in those conditions.
On starting the generator, it had an output of 260VAC and the inverter indicators Mains on and Bulk charging came on, then went off. I tried adding load to the generator output to help drop the output voltage (in case that was the cause of the lack of charging), but nothing helped . The generator will carry the load of 3 kettles at once, but the inverter does not like to connect to it.
Are there settings I can change to help it accept the generator power?
What do I need to connect my notebook PC to the Inverter?

Help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Tony from West Oz

Gensets are often problematic like this. They can gag at the instant power hit, go out of spec, then get rejected. Loads on their own can be ok, but that (up to) 70A of charge capacity will test it. There's a lot you can try.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Dynamic Current Limiter is like a 'soft-start', and almost always needed.

You'll need to acquire a MK3 to USB Adaptor for a PC.. https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb , and you may find it gets plenty of use also for other things like setting up the charge parameters for your batteries. Youtube help.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Zceq02vMA There's more stuff there too, also the Victron website. VE.Configure the standard package to download.. https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

Ask again if you struggle with any of this..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tony-from-west-oz answered ·

I purchased what I thought was the correct adaptor, but it had the wrong connector on it. I then purchased one which had an RJ45 connector. I still cannot connect to the inverter (48/5000/70), despite having downloaded the setup for the adaptor, but still no improvement in communicating with it.
I have shelved the idea for now, but wonder if there is anyone in WA (SE Perth region) who can come and help me navigate these communications issues. I can pay (preferaby in home made wine, fruit and/or veggies, but cash is also a possibility.)

2 |3000

Is there no one who can help?
Does Victron have tech support in Perth?
I still need help getting the Inverter to connect to the generator.

Tony
0428 920 881

2 |3000

I have had success! A FB friend came to our place and checked the cabling and settings. Changed a couple of settings, including reducing the current draw from the generator (shore power) and with a bit of a load on the generator (2KW electric kettle) it fired up . Tried again without the load on the generator and it connected again. Reset the generator load to suit the generator and cabling and it connected up again.
Tomorrow will try the generator from cold to see if it will connect to the Victron.

2 comments
2 |3000

GRIGORIU avatar image GRIGORIU commented ·
Nice. when you finally get it working can you post all the mods done ?
0 Likes 0 ·
wheeto avatar image wheeto GRIGORIU commented ·
Seconded! It's always useful to know what needed doing to get things working.
0 Likes 0 ·

I still have an adapter which I cannot use. My inverter needs an RJ45 to USB adapter to communicate with the Inverter.

I purchased what I was advised was the correct adapter, a "USB to VE Direct" adapter. It is of no use to me and i now have the USB - RJ45 adapter which works on my inverter.
Would anyone like the "USB to VE Direct" adapter.. In new, unused condition.

I cannot recall the price of it, but you can research that and pay me half the price charged by Victron agents for this adapter.

Thanks for the support of this group.

Tony

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic