question

c7d9 avatar image
c7d9 asked

CCGX not communicating to Pylontech US3000C batteries through 'VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS type A' Cable

My CCGX is not seeing my Pylontech US3000C batteries, not showing under Devices

- CCGX firmware v2.92

- VE.can Port Settings: CAN-bus profile - CAN-bus BMS (500kbit/s)

- 'VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS type A' Cable between A/CAN port on master battery to VE.can port on CCGX (with terminator in other port)

- 3 x Pylontech US3000C batteries master/slaved through LINKPORTs

Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Duncan

CCGX Color ControlPylontech
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marc Heymans avatar image Marc Heymans commented ·
I dont know if you have tried this but, on a recent installation I connected a Cerbo to Pylontech batteries with type A cable with NO terminator and she works beautifully
0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa commented ·
@c7d9@hotmail.com If you connect the Cerbo GX side into the BMS port, no terminator, it should work. While the manual reflects using the CAN port with the terminator, I have found it only works in the BMS port of the GX.

Try that and let us know how you go.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Cable the right way round?

Have you set the baud rates right?

Follow: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

c7d9 avatar image
c7d9 answered ·

Yes, the cables were the right way around, they were labeled quite clearly. I even tried with the cables the wrong way around, just in case the factory labeled it backwards.

Yes: CAN-bus profile was set to - CAN-bus BMS (500kbit/s) as I believe is correct.

Thanks for trying, but got any other ideas?
Cheers,

Duncan

2 |3000

c7d9 avatar image
c7d9 answered ·

Hi,

If I have to face the realisation that Victron does not support/communicate with Pylontech US3000C batteries, does anyone have a workaround that allows me to setup my Victron Gear (MPPT RS450, CCGX, and/or Multiplus-II 48V/5000VA) so they work with my batteries well?

I'd like to configure my setup to know enough about my battery specs before I turn on my panels and charging.

Thanks,

Duncan

7 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

There are 1000's in the field, they work fine. Do you have another cable? Is the software current on the GX?

0 Likes 0 ·
c7d9 avatar image c7d9 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I've tried 3 different Type A cables, 2 victron ones and 1 custom one built to specs.

CCGX firmware v2.92

I even tried a Type B cable, and it didn't work.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@c7d9@hotmail.com Have another look at the Pylontech compatibility page , you can find the pinouts for the type A cable should need to check the cable.

Have you tried another Can terminator?

Have you tried a single battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
c7d9 avatar image c7d9 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
klim,

thanks for the feedback.

I've tried 2 different cables: one Type A cable from Victron, and another custom configured cable from my supplier designed to be a Type A cable. Both didn't work, and I've ordered a 3rd Victron Type A cable (5m) to try again next week.

I tried 2 different Can terminators, and I tried both ports in the CCGX using the terminator.

I've just tried a single battery, with no results. I tried another single battery, with no results.

Could something have gone wrong when I tried using the VE.can port on my MPPT to my CCGX along with my batteries (using Type A cable) to my CCGX in the other CAN port. I know NOW that they both can't work together as per the 250/500 kbits/s problem with Pylontech communications at the same time. I did noticed a few weeks ago, when I tried it for the first time that the MPPT and perhaps the batteries both flickered in the CCGX, but have not been able to get either showing up since. Is there a possibility that by using the wrong cables might cripple my CCGX or the outputs on my MPPT or batteries?

Thanks for your help,

Duncan

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ c7d9 commented ·
It is probably best that you can confirm that your VE Can port in the CCGX is working.

Disconnect your batteries, and connect your VE Can mppt and check that it has communication with the CCGX.

0 Likes 0 ·

I've tried that with a standard network cable, and it didn't work. I've got it working now through a VE.Direct cable, since no other cables worked with the MPPT connected to the CCGX through Can. I've begun to believe that my CCGX's Can interface doesn't work at all. I'm going to take it into a shop and test and perhaps get a working one this week.

Thanks,

Duncan

0 Likes 0 ·
I've tried a single battery, but no luck

I've got 2 terminators and have tried both, no luck

0 Likes 0 ·
c7d9 avatar image
c7d9 answered ·

Hi,
could there be any value from resetting my CCGX back to it's factory defaults?

Cheers

2 |3000

assyntdavid avatar image
assyntdavid answered ·

Hi,

Most likely not relevant to your your set up, but . . I recently installed Pylontech US5000 batteries with Cerbo GX. All the literature suggests use type A cable connected preferably to BMS-Can port. No way could I get that to work! I wired up, then bought a type B cable and connected it to the VE-Can input set to 500kb/s - worked first time. Type B connected to BMS-Can port nothing. This contradicts some other posts on here but that was my experience, so might be worth trying the 'wrong' cable.

Anyway - good luck.

Regards,

David

1 comment
2 |3000

c7d9 avatar image c7d9 commented ·
Thanks David,

I've ordered a Type B cable to give it a try. If the products won't work according to how the manuals say they should be, I'll try anything.

Cheers,

Duncan

0 Likes 0 ·
c7d9 avatar image
c7d9 answered ·

I really do appreciate the comments provided by you guys abovve, but please help me out here, does Victron support staff monitor these forums? I've gotten some suggestions from some people above, I've tried all suggestions, but I'm still left with a $21K solar setup that neither works nor seems to be supported by the manufacturers. I'd love to be able to go back to the people who sold me my system, but they don't seem to possess the technical knowledge to support the system they sold to me. I've followed all manuals and technical setup instructions perfectly, and my Victron CCGX still cannot communicate with my Pylontech US3000C batteries. At this point, I can't even figure out which component is not doing it's part: is the CCGX not accepting CAN input, or could it be the batteries not sending information out.

I'd love to continue to receive input, I'll try anything at this point. Should I try updating the firmware on the batteries? Is there a way to diagnose if the communication chip on the CCGX Can chip is working?

Cheers,
Duncan

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I can't even figure out which component is not doing it's part: is the CCGX not accepting CAN input, or could it be the batteries not sending information out.

Have you connected your RS 450 to the CCGX to test the comms?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

This isn’t a support site. There is a support page where you can request support and it will direct your request to the distributor who is responsible for helping you. That really is the place to start if you need official support.

Have a look at the community guidelines, the link should be in there.

This is a basic part of commissioning a system so your installer should get a proper kicking for dropping you into this predicament.

(Separate point, using your email as a user name makes that visible to people and can cause spam, you should edit your profile and change that).

0 Likes 0 ·