question

dewald-fourie avatar image
dewald-fourie asked

Victron Quattro 15kVA overload warning genset start setting

Hi Victron

We have a 9 x Quattro 15kVA system. 3 x 33.3kW SE pv inverters and 3 x 450/100 MPPT's system. There is also a 250kVA generator connected to AC 1 with smaller grid supply at in AC 2.

The genset is set to start on overload warning when warning is active for 10s. The problem is that when grid goes off during the day, which happen everyday is SA, the inverters often go into overload warning and starts the genset. The output cuurent over the last few weeks was at 155A, 155A, 168A, once at 172A when the overload warning started.

The 3 x 15kvA Quattro inverters per phase cont output power is 12kW x 3 / 230V = 156A. So the load current is just over the 156A for the 2min while the SE inverters ramp up and take most of the load off the quattro output.

My questions is if we can set the overload warning is active for time longer so that the system can transition when grid goes off and when it goes on again so that genset is not activated. Can we set it to 180sec?

Please let me know.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargergenerator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Dewald Fourie

If what you're after is the tolerance of the Quattros to overload, then there's some discussion (and further links) in this thread.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4454/peak-power-of-victron-inverters.html Should be ok, but your decision to make.

If you want to know how to do it, we'd need to know what's switching the genset. I've my way, but maybe not the same as yours..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dewald-fourie answered ·

Thanks John

According to the table in your link the Qauttro can handle 130% of nominal power for 30min.

Are my calculations in first message correct in terms of the cont output power? If it is then according to the table the 3 x 15kvA Quattro can handle 156A x 130% = 203A for 30min.

The system is already in operation and the Cerbo sends the signal to Genset to start. At the moment one of the conditions is overload warning at 10sec and we find that the genset start too often. Can we set this to 180sec?

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Dewald Fourie

Your calcs seem ok. In an overload situation I tend to consider theory as being a little 'mushy' though. Things like power factor and spikiness may impinge. It should be ok though. And you won't hurt the Quattros even if they did trip. It's really just an extension of time you're looking for, and I'd try it myself.. Good luck..

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You may also want to factor in temperatures. If this is in the African summer, output can be much lower.
0 Likes 0 ·
dewald-fourie answered ·

Hi Victron

What is the best way to setup this system so that the Overload Warnings don't trigger the Genset start so quickly. We need time for the PV inverters to ramp up again after grid go off and on again before triggering the genset start

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
1678967550582.png (18.0 KiB)