question

matthew avatar image
matthew asked

Meritsun batteries in ess

Hi,

Helping a guy out with a system that he sourced meritsun powerwall batteries.

The cerbo shows it as the pylon batteries. So have used the pylon victron live settings for it.

However the system does not seem to charge, if you go into the parameters of the battery max charge voltage is 57.6v and the amps available max is 190

Tried putting it on a schedule charge and it will not take any energy, there are no warnings.

Anyone had experience of this?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Yes, currently the system locks the max charge voltage to 52.4V when it sees a pylon BMS, so on larger cell batteries which spoof pylon it won't charge properly. A few topics on the subject here. If you use the search bar, you can find a code mod for DVCC to disable this behaviour.

The latest beta should also allow you to choose 16 cells instead of 15 which will improve the situation.

That's the risk with unsupported batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matthew avatar image matthew commented ·
Thanks, did you keep the Comms cable in or take it out?

IL see if I can find posts, struggled earlier searching

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ matthew commented ·

You can leave it managed once DVCC is tweaked, or if the beta code works for you (haven't tried the latter myself).

Have a look here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/163988/mppt-limited-to-5240v.html

and

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/180667/venus-os-v30015-available-for-testing.html

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Matthew

Not with Meritsun. But another battery that also identified as Pylontec.

You have to disconnect the comms and use battery recommended setting to program everything. Usually the battery needs higher or different charged and float voltages than Pylontec use, so the conflict will not allow the system to charge.

Run them dumb... No comms. They are an unsupported battery anyway. So unless you know how to edit the software on the GX, there is not much you can do.

5 comments
2 |3000

matthew avatar image matthew commented ·
Thanks, did you fit a BMV for the soc. Or just use the multi calc?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ matthew commented ·
Both the BMV and @nickdb suggestions should work if you are comfortable with tweaking the DVCC with beta software.

Make sure the customer is comfortable with the idea of beta or customisation. If they arent the BMV is always an option.

0 Likes 0 ·
matthew avatar image matthew Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks,

Took out the Comms cable and upped the voltages. The mult is reading way higher soc (expected). Just can't see how it would work without a BMV

Don't think the customer is the type for a beta version. Hopefully not too long.

0 Likes 0 ·
matthew avatar image matthew Alexandra ♦ commented ·
another question, I have managed to charge them up "dumb" (by taking the ess assistant out and trying the grid like a gen) cannot get the multi to stop it saying (95%, its stayed like this from the battery being 20% up to 100%) even though they are 100%. Charged no problem, soon as I have the system set to ess and the grid is drawing the inverter is not pulling anything from the battery! Any ideas?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ matthew commented ·

You need ESS if you want to prioritise self consumption.

The other two ways are virtual switch and AC ignore.

Or manual/ timed switching of the incoming breaker.

The inverter will take a cycle or so to get the SOC right but i have found unless you are fulky charging does not keep accuracy. A Bmv is the way to go with partial charging.

The internal one i have found is fine if you fully charge everyday.

What settings did you use in ESS? If it in a keep batteries charged then it wont use the battery.

Since they are new though do keep them charged for a few days to sort themselves out a bit in balancing. Then start cycling.

If you have a spare GX set up comms to the battery and keep an eye on how it is behaving.

0 Likes 0 ·