question

Peter Williams avatar image
Peter Williams asked

ESS System – Battery Monitor on the inverter enabled or not with Pylontech?

System:

12 x Pylontech US3000C all with Firmware V1.4

Cerbo GX

Multiplus II 10000VA

MPPT RS 200/450

There is conflicting advice as to whether I should enable the Battery Monitor on the inverter for an ESS setup where I charge the batteries at night.

The following document used for setting up the system says to enable the battery monitor on the Inverter: (see image 1.png)1.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

“5.1 General tab

Check the Enable battery monitor function”

--

However the ESS design and installation manual page 3 says NOT to enable the battery monitor on the inverter, when using the Pylon batteries BMS on canbus. (see image 2.png)2.png

“Battery Monitor In most situations, it is not necessary to install a battery monitor: • Lithium batteries with canbus connection (BYD B-Box, Pylon, LG Resu and others) already have a built-in battery monitor. Adding another will only set up a conflict. Always use the canbus connection to provide battery status/state-of-charge data for these batteries”

Could I have some clarification on both choices, and which is the actual recommended option for an ESS setup with Pylon Batteries US3000C Firmware V 1.4.

My assumption was that it is better to use the Pylon Battery monitor on Canbus and not tick the box to enable the battery monitor on the inverter? Is that correct? Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSPylontech
2.png (119.9 KiB)
1.png (150.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Follow the pylontech implementation doc to the letter.

The ESS guide is referring to installing an external BMV which is not required for a managed battery.

The setting on the inverter is to enable functionality, some which is required when a GX is unavailable, which is why all chargers are still manually configured.

From the manual:

10.1.5. Enable Battery Monitor

Enabling the VE.Bus battery monitor, this also enables many features that can use a state of charge (SoC).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The ESS design and installation manual doesn't say not to enable the battery monitor in VE.Configure. It says that it's not necessary to install a battery monitor. It goes on to say that those batteries have a battery monitor built in and adding another battery monitor would cause conflicts.

You should follow the setup instructions in the Pylontech document.

Enabling the battery monitor function in VE.Configure is not the same as buying and adding a second battery monitor into the system (e.g. like a BMV-712 or Smart Shunt).

2 |3000