question

aviva1964 avatar image
aviva1964 asked

Temperature alarms on charge controllers

I’ve got to MPPT 250/100s that are simultaneously reporting battery temperature high alarms. There’s no battery temp sensor connected. The battery temps are in the 50s F. Nothing is hot. It’s below freezing outside. It’s 50 degrees where the controller is. The controllers are not charging the batteries now.

Help!

MPPT ControllersTemperature Alarm
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@aviva1964

Battery temperature or battery terminal?

Are they smart networked?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
keit6473 avatar image
keit6473 answered ·

Hello, I am having the same problem. It is a battery temp, not battery terminal fault. However, I am not monitoring battery temp with the MPPT. Have you gotten any answers?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

MPPTs have an internal temperature sensor. Unless this is overridden by fitting a sensor direct to the battery, the MPPT will assume battery temperature is the value given by the internal sensor.

2 |3000

keit6473 avatar image
keit6473 answered ·

Update: the controller with the battery temp fault was networked with two other charge controllers, a battery protect, and a smart shunt. I removed the charger with the “high battery temp” fault from the network and it is now charging my batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Have you a mixed network setup with cables and smart (Bluetooth) networking? If so please disable the smart network. The mix is not supported and there have been a few mentions of problems recently in systems that were working before.
0 Likes 0 ·
keit6473 avatar image keit6473 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I do have the controllers connected to a Cerbo with cables AND I had smart networking set up. I will remove all the devices from the smart network and see how that works. Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic