question

alator avatar image
alator asked

Victron EV charging station Need advice

Hi,

I have a hybrid grid setup, I can pull from the grid but do not feed power out to the grid. I want to install a EV charger for my EV and I am undecided between a Zappi or the Victron charging station.

I am considering the Victron Charging station as ,in theory, it should link in well with my Victron Quattros and GX but I am having trouble getting any details as to the functions it will provide but see plenty of posts here about issues.

I have 30kw batteries and do not want the EV charger to drain these, also i want to be able to schedule charging times at night and sync this with a pull from the grid. I can see that I can setup schedules with the Zappi for night time charging but this would still drain my batteries during the day. Does anyone have any insight into whether the Victron charging station can be configured in this setup to:

1. Not drain batteries for house.
  2. Only charge when solar generation is high
  3. schedule charging at set times to sync with grid pull OR be set to trigger a grid pull

Thank you in advance

chargerev charging station
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, Automatic mode is just charging with the extra power from the sun. And yes, we have scheduled charging, please have a look at the video here - https://youtu.be/uVVsdSj9pmg

0 Likes 0 ·
alator avatar image alator Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for the reply.

However I am still without answers to some of my questions.

• As I stated I do not export to the grid so how does this charging station detect excess solar?
  • Does the scheduling support turning on ac 1 input or generator as part of the function or will it simply drain my batteries until the SOC or Voltage limits trigger the generator?

0 Likes 0 ·
alator avatar image alator alator commented ·
@Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) would you be to help me with my questions?
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ alator commented ·
Hi, a new algorithm for off-grid is coming. At this moment, Automatic mode, works only for installations with feed-in enabled.
1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers