question

Pavel Richter avatar image
Pavel Richter asked

Victron wallbox features

Hi,
I have a victorn original wallbox.
I am disappointed, I expected much more. It's not exactly cheap, is it?

Do you know if the development is still ongoing and if improvements can be expected in the future?
I miss the most:
- registration of a specific car. rfid, pin code, whatever. How should I distinguish the amount of energy, for example, between two cars?
- monthly how many kwh in total and how many kwh each car. Erasable counter.
- how much energy was taken directly from the PV, from the battery and from the grid? The price of energy is different from the grid and directly from PV. For each car separately. I need it to calculate the recharge payment.

And the last thing that completely shocked me. wifi only? on a fixed device? A LAN port is absolutely necessary. Wifi is an unreliable connection that loses signal behind the first wall. What will be next? Ve.bus wirelessly? :D

I hope there will be a SW update...

Thanks

chargerev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
solarmax-canarias avatar image
solarmax-canarias answered ·

Hello,

I’m disappointed too! Only Wifi connection - please integrate an Lan port!! The mounting is really annoying with the external screws.

I installed some of the them on off-grid installation with AC-coupling (Fronius) and once the SOC is 100% it doesn’t charge in AUTO mode with the exceed, it just throttles down to 0 and says “waiting for Sun”

It’s very expensive and no really special function apart the integration in VRM.

I hope it will also appear on current-flow display of the CC/ Cerbo display.

There are many features too be integrated in coming updates!!!!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Didn't you guys read the specs before buying?

2 comments
2 |3000

Pavel Richter avatar image Pavel Richter commented ·

Hi,

I read. They write vrm integrations there! advanced features!

Reality? power display only. Even waiting for the sun doesn't work, as I read in the above post

under integration and advanced features I imagine something else. not programmable led color. this is absolute nonsense.

E.g.

that I can set whether it should take power from the batteries or let it be supplied from the mains for the car.

What happens if I have wallboux, for example, on 3ph multi 3000 on out and the grid drops out? will the charging stop immediately or will there be a blackout?

car identification. Pin ... for possible billing.

I consider the LAN port to be standard for any device that is permanently mounted. Wifi as an emergency option.

Just like cerbo GX has. Cable and wifi.

This year we installed approx. 60 cerbo GX units. Where wifi was used there were always problems with the connection. If there is no LAN at the installation site. I use lowcost ethernet over 230V from tplink. Totally reliable.

What I would expect from a wallbox as part of the Victron ecosystem are practically SW matters. Except for the LAN.

Otherwise, HW is very nice, beautiful blue. I just hope it's UV stable :)

I believe Victron will do something about it. I'm just missing a reaction from someone from victron stuff here.

1 Like 1 ·
solarmax-canarias avatar image solarmax-canarias Pavel Richter commented ·
I went to the fair in Munich 2022 and talked to the guys there, i asked for those features and was like yes yes yes, for sure, yes yes... the reality is a bit dissapointing! I trust in future updates to integrate those NEEDED features for off-grid systems, witch is the real power of victron - so far, i guess i have to be patient
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

Next time buy it buy it at Amazon and send it back within 30 days

3 comments
2 |3000

solarmax-canarias avatar image solarmax-canarias commented ·
great answer ludo
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image ludo solarmax-canarias commented ·
Yeah, but saves a lot of frustration
0 Likes 0 ·
Pavel Richter avatar image Pavel Richter ludo commented ·

this is not a solution. The power is in the integration of all components together. I don't want to return it. I'm just missing important features.

If they just wrote - ok this is wallbox v1. Regular feature updates will be released in the future. OK

Unfortunately, communication from victron is poor.

I'll wait.

0 Likes 0 ·