question

surefk avatar image
surefk asked

ET340 RS485 to USB connection problems

Looking for some assistance on getting an ET340 working with a CCGX, CCGX is V1.74 does this support ET340 as menu looks to be different to what manuals indicate. I'm using 5M USB to RS485 Victron cable, no interference across installation, orange,yelow and black as instructed, CCGX does not see ET340 at all, plugged into USB host port on CCGX, no red or green flashing light (only on initial plugging in, then only get a solid red led (not the traffic led). Tried connecting ET340 to a Win 7 home PC with Carlo UCS7 software but that doesn't appear to work either. Have tried multiple USB ports, various USB to RS485 cables that I have on hand, linked in 120Ohm resistor on ET340. No luck at all, thinking I have something DOOB but thought I'd throw it out there for advice.

rs485
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David Molyneux avatar image David Molyneux commented ·

I'm interested if there is a solution to this problem because I have identical symptoms as you but with the ET112 meter (connected to MP2 GX). Most similar threads seem to end up saying that replacing the meter resolved the problem but I think I will try a new cable first and hoping you might find a solution before I go to hassle of swapping it out!

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
surefk avatar image
surefk answered ·

Had another try at getting this to work, loaded UCS onto a Win11 laptop, had some success in that the UCS software recognised the cable pugged into the USB port and would commence a search process for the ET340 unit, same Victron cable 5M between laptop and ET340, no activity on traffic leds after it is plugged into the laptop.

Any assistance from the group would be appreciated.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

And there is no other cable in between? So the 5m USB adapter from victron is directly conected to the ET340 ?

The ET340 is correctly powered? Is the power LED on and does the red led on the right blink in accordance to the energy consumption?

One other known point to that Victron adapter is, that some people mixed up the colors... ;-)

1 comment
2 |3000

surefk avatar image surefk commented ·
No other cable, just the 5m USB to flying lead, wire colours are as per the manual, orange, yellow and black to 8, 9 & 10. The power LED is on and the red LED is blinking, its connected to the 3Phase output side of an ABB Trio, 1,2 & 3 to the Trio, 4,5 & 6 to the load.

The only LED on the USB is a solid red LED , it is not the red LED that indicates data is being passed, the red & green LED blink once, only when the USB is plugged into the laptop.

Will my CCGX need upgraded to work with this, its currently V1.74 will it need to be upgraded to V2.xx?

0 Likes 0 ·
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

Well, I don't know which firmware is the latest for your CCGX, but if there is already a version V2.xx available, you should do an update anyway.

Regarding the USB-RS485 adapter, - if the LEDs are not blinking, there is no communication. Now I would first check if its not related to the CCGX itself. Maybe it can't communicate with the USB dongle because of the old firmware version. So please try this first, as the rest might be ok...

@David Molyneux

Are you able to connect the ET112 via the USB-RS485 adapter to the UCS software from Carlo Gavazzi? If yes, then the cable and the connection + termination is ok. Then it should be something else...

2 comments
2 |3000

David Molyneux avatar image David Molyneux commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
jetlag avatar image jetlag David Molyneux commented ·
Nice investigation! ;-) Thanks for the feedback.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic