question

hoody avatar image
hoody asked

Can I mount my new SmartSolar 100/15 in a waterproof tackle box?

Building a semi-portable system that I can use on 2 different campers. 2-100w panels, all 10g wire using waterproof connections in box. I guess my question is, is it safe to mount this in a small sealed tackle box? As far as heat and airflow?

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. answered ·

Hi,

I should not do that, here when the sun is at max. The mppt can come a bit hot, so if there is no airflow..

dont think it will work very long...and maybe go in alarm...

( i speak for 150/70 versions)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoody avatar image
hoody answered ·

The manual says vertical mount with 10cm above and below. I have the 10cm above and below unit laying down in box, but yes it is sealed. I’ve seen pictures of these mounted on their side, and face down, so I wasn’t worried about that.

This is a common build usually with smaller (under 20a pwm) portable set ups.

Maybe I’ll figure out an open bottom box that is still rain protected that I can mount to my battery box once parked and setup.

I can’t mount inside my battery boxes since I use old flooded 6v cart batteries.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic