question

Stan Posthumus avatar image
Stan Posthumus asked

Large AGM battery bank and 10kW (2x5kW) Quattro config for off-grid (yacht) Sizing and protection

I am having difficulty with max Amps. System is working well, but ...

I need help with wiring sizes and perhaps Quatro settings.

Please advise re: A wiring diagram would be most helpful

1. sizing of cables for 100A max load

2. protection of cables (sizing and placement of breakers / reset-able fuse)

3. settings on Quattro(s)

4. how to protect from low voltage on batteries

5. other important considerations

SYSTEM:

[24x115Ah]12V AGM = 2,760Ah (12v) [2 banks 12+12 paralel] (House Bank(s))

2x12V5kVA Quattro

8x350w PV panels (4 pairs)

4xMPPT Victron

Smartshunt 500A 50mV

Cerbo GX

2xGX tank 140

[DEDICATED NAVIGATION POWER BANK

a) 2x12v 115Ah AGM

b) Orion- TR Smart 12/12 30 DC-DC charger

c) 12/24 Smart Battery Protect

d) GX LTE 4G-A ]

[DEDICATED WINDLASS POWER BANK

i. 2x12v 115Ah AGM

ii. Blue Smart Charger 12/25]

Thank you for any help,

Sincerely

Stan Posthumus

+19734281034 whatsapp

quattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Stan Posthumus

You need help sizing but the system is working well? So is it built or are you looking for a system design?

If it is design, contact a dealer near you.

This forum is not the place for complex system design. Read the community guidlines.

And everything you need to know about the installation of each of the products including cable and fusing size is in each product manual.

For example the inverters.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stan Posthumus answered ·

My system is working in that there is no fault with the all Victron equipment. I love it, BUT any load over 35A AC 110v is causing my fuses on the batteries to trip.

My question is:

What size cable and breakers do I need and how do I protect my batteries?

Help please.

PS there is no manual for 2x5kVA Quattros in parallel (that I can find)

The dealers (no names mentioned) are of no help.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

What model inverter do you have exactly? The answer is in the manual.

Also is it set up in parallel?

Who installed the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

@Stan Posthumus it depends on how long the cables are as to how big they need to be.

If the system is parralelled then there are more requirements, the cables will need to be the same length. (I assume your split phase!?)

What breaker are you using that's tripping, photos of the installation are very useful.

I expect you may have AC rated MCB breakers in the DC line which will trip around 80% of the rating maybe less.

They will need to be replaced with suitable rated breakers or I always fit an isolator and a suitably rated fuse. Reccomendations are given in the manual for your particular inverter charger as well as mininum battery capacity and cable size.

3 comments
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·
Fo fuses you may need to look at T class fuses to get up to the amperage you require.
0 Likes 0 ·

Screen shot showing reccomeneded cable and fuse sizes. (for each inverter)

screenshot-20230126-080009-onedrive.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Stan Posthumus answered ·

First thank you all for your time and help.

The system has:

(2) two 5kVA 12V Quattros# in parallel ...12V system

(2) Two banks of 12V AGM deep cycle 115Ah batteries

The (2) banks are in parallel

Each bank has (12) twelve batteries

Total batteries (24) twenty-four 12V batteries in parallel = 24x115Ah = 2,760 Ah

All batteries are in parallel and have equal length 2/0 AWG 1.4m tinned copper cables to *BUS

What cables (1.8m) and breakers do I use to connect *BUS to (2) two 5kVA 12V Quattros# in parallel?

The manuals DO NOT cover this scenario.

And YES I know this is Not ideal, (like a self-made man, the first is always a prototype)

TIA

1 comment
2 |3000

As mentioned wiring unlimited is a good guide. Generally the links between the battery's will be the same as the links to inverter. Often as there's are other loads on the bank the links between the batteries will be slightly heavier. 1.8m isn't a lengthy run, so I would suggest that the suggestions in the manual are appropriate. 2x 120mm to each inverter.

800amp fuse for each inverter.

At 12v your really pushing the envelope of what is reasonable and making life quite challenging with both cable and fuse availability.

T CLASS fuses from little fuse are probobly your only option

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The manuals DO NOT cover this scenario.

You might want to read Wiring Unlimited , plenty of useful information regarding system design.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic