question

oofta avatar image
oofta asked

Venus 3.00~15 Linux 5.10.110 kernel bug? USB adapters constantly disconnecting

I'm having an intermittent but persistent problem with USB-attached VE.Direct devices dropping out on the Raspberry Pi on Venus 3.00~15. It will work for a while (minutes, maybe hours) but eventually one or more of the devices will show as 'disconnected' in the Victron console and dbus until I unplug and reattach the USB serial adapter (generic/PL2303). I can also do a software reset of the USB hub device to wake it up.

I find others describing the same kind of intermittent failure, e.g. this post:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/180631/venus-os-devices-always-get-disconnected.html

Tried a couple different Pi boards with no luck, and it seems to happen to all three of my USB dongles equally. I also checked the power supply has adequate current and adjusted it to 5.1V. With devices disconnected I checked for any voltage differences between grounds but don't find any reason to suspect a ground loop. So, basically I'm leaning away from a hardware problem at this point.

In my case I see the following error when a USB device drops out:

Jan 23 22:24:10 raspberrypi2 user.err kernel: [248741.182617] pl2303 ttyUSB1: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32

More digging based on that error leads me to RPI OS users reporting the same problem affecting USB-attached devices, especially PL2303 and FTDI serial adapters. Eventually most of these threads lead back to the one below. This thread concludes with a kernel bug being identified that was fixed in late September 2022.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/5088

In Venus 3.00~15 it looks like we are still on a 5.10.110 kernel from April 2022 which definitely predates this patch. The current 5.10 kernel is 5.10.163. I couldn't find the commit in the change log for 5.10 so I'm not sure exactly when they picked it up, but i do see it in the 5.15 train.

Maybe the Venus devs could take a look and see if this is something worth taking up?

Thanks!

Venus OSRaspberry Pilinux
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
@oofta Moved to the modification space.
1 Like 1 ·
requies avatar image requies commented ·

I have the same problem.

Is there any news / fix ?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic