question

robert avatar image
robert asked

Multiplus remote shutdown

A system has 3 mulitplusses (3 phase config). We want to shut the system down with the remote console in the VRM monitoring (since we are abroad).

Which menu option should we use?

Regards

Robert

remote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

You can turn the Multi's off in the 'device list' menu

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

There is no option for this in the menus as far as I know.

But you could consider, to use the generator start stop relay function. This could then be triggered via Remote Console.

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi Boekel,

Thank you, I completely missed that. I was so curious, that I have overlooked this option, so I checked and it is not there in my case.

Do you have to change a setting in VEconfigure to have this setting shown?

Regards,

Markus

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

I never -didn't- see the option. could it be you also have a (digital) multi-control panel in the system? maybe that collides?

1 Like 1 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz commented ·

@Markus first off all you have to switch on your MP

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Peter Polz commented ·

I would try this out, and let then lough on me ;o) ok, you can do it first ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

The option was not there, when i switched my Multis on.

Remote Control has priority... as a guess.

Could be the case, that I disabled that myself, while setting up my Multis.

12 comments
2 |3000

Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz commented ·

It definitly should be there.. in case of a multi under "German" menu "UMSCHALTEN" maybe a problem of your Raspiinstallation. because it doesn't makes any difference if you have check or unchecked "overrulled by remote" because thats has only effects on shore limit. i just checked for you many configurations in office with a multi and a CCGX in office and i always have the choise between "OFF,Charger Only,On" on CCGX.. so next time you visit your installation you shouldn't forget your cell phone like today, to call me in front of device ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

No, option is not shown on my 2 Multis. Regardless what I set.

I have to mention, that I use Venus on RPi on both installations. Maybe that's a RPi problem.

I just wanted to state, that I am not blind ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
mihair avatar image mihair markus ♦♦ commented ·

@Markus "I have to mention, that I use Venus on RPi on both installations. Maybe that's a RPi problem. "

No, is not RPi related. I have this option on my PI and is functioning well

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz mihair commented ·

hmm thats a little bit curious becaus Markus hast 2 Raspi Installations and in both installations its missing. on big 5k Multi he has out of the Box standard FW 413... and with 413 i do see the option in my own 5k Multi on CCGX.. but he don't see it in raspi.. so it seams to be a raspi thing.. maybe an raspi dependenci with standard 413 so lets give FW update of Multi a chance

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz Peter Polz commented ·

As i actually heard from @Markus it really seams his Raspi Venusimage needs a newer FW image on Multi than CCGX needs for that option. After update die 431.. with first MP it works now, second tomorrow. but Markus has other troubles at the moment. his Raspi SD is Dead now :) .. he think's its my bad RaspiVoodoo beacuse we both has been for years in IT an he is a "Raspilover" and i am a "Raspihater" :)

0 Likes 0 ·

:o( it seems that my SD card just died completely. Not to blame the Pi for that, but very annoying.

But we sorted out this myst. At last ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
mihair avatar image mihair markus ♦♦ commented ·

@Markus

I would like to recommend you this:

U331A Series : http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2623959.pdf?_ga=2.216606614.1083501920.1543496553-1705385864.1527233206

Or any other SLC SD card designed for Industrial environment

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ mihair commented ·

Thank you! Very nice to know!

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

RasPi is back online and option is there :o) Just for the records, I updated Firmware from 150 to 431.

Danke @Peter Polz

I will update Firmware of the other Multi, tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Polz avatar image Peter Polz markus ♦♦ commented ·

@Markus much more interessting will be if you do it for discussed 413 of your new 5k MP, because that 150 differs from primarly discussed and compared device on my testet CCGX. That the stonage old 150 may cause a problem was not really surprising, because 150 version completly differ from 4xx FW type. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Ok, I just updated the second Multi from 413 to 431.

Before:

After:

Regards,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

@Peter Polz "That the stonage old 150 may cause a problem was not really surprising"

It didn't make any problems in my setup, just this option was missing.

0 Likes 0 ·
John Rushworth avatar image
John Rushworth answered ·

I control my Multi On, Off, Charger Only and Current Limit remotely via CCGX per:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#using_the_multi_and_quattro_input_current-limiter_setting

So it's using :

'Overruled by remote' setting in VEConfigure' meaning you use the CCGX in preference to a local panel such as:

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/digital-multi-control-panel-gx

7 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hello John, nice to see you here.

The option to turn the multi "off" or "on" via ccgx does not depend on "overruled by remote" setting. It a Firmware dependency.

Best Regards,

Markus

1 Like 1 ·
John Rushworth avatar image John Rushworth ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

Or put another way, checking overrule box allowed me to limit current to zero so Mult goes to passthru on charger only. As for switching on, off or charger only on CCGX, I assumed that was a byproduct of overruling remote.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

@Peter Polz tested this 2 days ago: "because it doesn't makes any difference if you have check or unchecked "overrulled by remote" because thats has only effects on shore limit. i just checked for you many configurations in office with a multi and a CCGX in office and i always have the choise between "OFF,Charger Only,On" on CCGX."

In my case, enabling overruled by remote, did not bring this option onto my ccgx. Only a Firmware update of the Multi did.

1 Like 1 ·

Understood. It was a reasonable assumption on my part though!

I must first have checked overruled by remote and updated firmware.

Effectively it does switch off if set to charger only and current limit set to zero.

In my case I didn’t want my inverter kicking in if shore power failed so my boat is always set to charger only, rather than deplete batteries with inverter. I have an alarm to email me if shore power goes off, so I then simply go to the boat to check instead.

If I want my charger off I just use the current limit to zero. That way any AC loads from shore power are still on.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ John Rushworth ♦♦ commented ·

perfect add on to the discussion above! Thank you!

1 Like 1 ·

Thanks. So you can see it depends on your install type as to how we use such functionality. In other words I only have switched to On (for inverter use) when on the boat and inverter needed and normally Charger only (with Current limit set to zero or other limit) when away from boat, with an email alarm based on voltage set to say 220 or a value below usual expected shore or genny voltage - in which case I know shore or genny power has gone off when I get that mail.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hmm. It’s what I had to do was over rule remote in VE Config to get it working on CCGX per manual link I gave.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic