question

pcg avatar image
pcg asked

Cannot access Cerbo GX Remote Console via Victron Connect

I am unable to access the Cerbo GX Remote Console via the Victron Connect app and Bluetooth. I purchased the Cerbo GX so I could view my charging system components working together, as well as view fuel and water levels on my boat. Both the data sheet and the manual clearly states that this should be possible.

From the data sheet:

"This communication-centre allows you to always have perfect control over your system from wherever you are and to maximise its performance. Simply access your system via our Victron Remote Management (VRM) portal, or access it directly, using the optional GX Touch screen, a Multi-Functional Display (MFD) or our VictronConnect app thanks to its Bluetooth capability."

From the manual:

“Make sure that the Cerbo GX is powered on, and the Bluetooth LED is blinking.

Open the Victron Connect App within 10 meters of the Cerbo GX and wait for nearby devices to be discovered.

Once discovered, Click or Tap on the Cerbo GX.

On first connection you will be asked to enter a bluetooth PIN code - the default PIN is 000000

You will then be asked to change this insecure default PIN code to a more secure unique code. Please set your unique code, and then put it in a safe place for passwords in case you forget.

From the main device screen it is possible to change the networking settings, view the system on VRM, or open the Remote Console.”

After following the instructions above, it is not possible to open the Remote Console, as my main screen does not give this option. It only gives me options to change the PIN code or edit the name of the device. The only other input I can access on the screen is the little Settings wheel icon in the upper right, which is all about setting up networks other than Bluetooth. I have since read other comments indicating that the Remote Console is not available via Bluetooth and Victron Connect, despite what both the data sheet and the manual state. This is a critical feature for me, as my boat will not have access to Wi-Fi or the Internet. Please confirm, or not, as I will be retuning the device if it can't do what I was lead to believe it could do.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Have a look at this video.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pcg avatar image pcg commented ·

Thanks, but that video just discusses new VRM features, which require Internet access. I want to access the Remote Panel without Internet or WI-FI, just Bluetooth.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ pcg commented ·
You could connect to the cerbos wifi access point.

No internet required

1 Like 1 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pcg commented ·

This is not possible. Sorry for the confusion.

To access the remote console locally via VictronConnect, the Cerbo GX must be connected to a local WiFi network or alternatively via its access point.

I can see how this can be easily misunderstood from the manual and will pass that on.

1 Like 1 ·
pcg avatar image pcg Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you Stefanie.
0 Likes 0 ·
johanz avatar image johanz pcg commented ·
HI Stefanie, I have just installed a Cerbo GX & am having te same problem as we travel where there no internet connection, so just to confirm I cannot access the unit via bluetooth and get to the control panel?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ johanz commented ·

Hi Johan,

That's correct. The Bluetooth feature of the Cerbo GX only allows to configure its WiFi and Ethernet settings from within VictronConnect, no more.

You still can access the Remote Console either via the built-in Wifi Access Point or a local LAN network. See section 7.2 and 7.3 in Accessing the GX device chapter.

-1 Like -1 ·
johanz avatar image johanz Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Stefane, connected via the Wi-Fi connection, but the signal from the Cerbo is extreamly week and you have to be withing 3M for it to connect so it does not help much, can I fit a Wi-Fi extender? & if so how
0 Likes 0 ·