question

rotalumis avatar image
rotalumis asked

SSB radio transmitting causes Temp Sensor value to drop

When my SSB radio is transmitting the temperature displayed on my CerboGX drops in value. (The Temp Sensor for Multiplus is what's being displayed) The temperature will continue to drop as it trasmits and quickly recovers when trasmission completes. If the temp value drops below 40 then Alerts start to display on the CerboGX. Thanks for you help!

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@rotalumis

I suspect this happens on a boat, I would try ferrites around the temp sensor and as close to the multi's temp sensor input as possible. And most likely another one around the VE.Bus cable between Multi and Cerbo and see if that helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

l81ker avatar image
l81ker answered ·

Was there any update on this? I have a similar issue and it would be good to know what resolved it?

1 comment
2 |3000

wilm avatar image wilm commented ·

Hi l81ker,
I am a radio-amateur and have my Multiplus-II directly in my radio-shack. In the beginning, transmitting on shortwave caused several outages on USB. So no reports from MPPTs and Smartshunt. Same was for the temperature-sensor.

My solution:
1st: Grounding. Ground the negative of the battery and the radio to a common point.

2nd: Galvanic isolation of USB. There are several adapters that prevent a hum on ground for the USB communication.

3rd: This is for the thermal sensor: Twist the cables and either install, or better build a steath-current-filter. This can be done with a ferrite and a special winding. Mount this filter as near as possible to the Multiplus.

Hope this helps,

Best,
Wilm, DL4OCH

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor