question

harro-0 avatar image
harro-0 asked

Bmv 712 shunt and redarc bcdc1240

04682df7-a2a2-4c43-8f83-f3ac7d76c283.jpegHi hoping for assistance. I have some removable draws where I have mounted a victron bmv 712 shunt and use a redarc bcdc1240 to charge a main (house) battery. I’ve run a chassis earth and pos+ cable to the grey Anderson plug from the vehicle start battery. The redarc initiates in lifepo mode and commences charging when the veh is started.

The ‘ brown’ redarc output wire connects via a circuit breaker to the blue Anderson plug which is earthed to the shunt ‘load and charger’ side.

The redarc charger is also earthed to the ‘load and charger’ side of the shunt. Only the ‘ house’ battery earth is connected on the shunt ‘battery only’ side.

My question is regardless of the house battery voltage- the bmv712 indicates it is only charging at about 10amp (fluctuating) instead of the possible 40amp- is there something erroneous with the system ‘charger and load’ side earthing.

Thankyou

BMV Battery MonitorSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

"The ‘ brown’ redarc output wire connects via a circuit breaker to the blue Anderson plug which is earthed to the shunt ‘load and charger’ side."

Those thermal breakers are a right fire hazard.

Plz replace that fire hazard with a proper current limiting device and report back.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.