question

boater avatar image
boater asked

V.E. Bus vs V.E. Can & NMEA 2000

Trying to connect a Multiplus to a NMEA2000 network. I see two products and don't understand the difference between them. One is the V.E. Bus to NMEA 2000 interface and the other is the V.E. CAN to NMEA2000 adapter cable. They each have an RJ45 on one end and a micro-c connector on the other. The adapter cable appears to be just that--a cable with different connectors on each end and provisions for connecting to power. The interface device has a 'black box' in the middle.

I have a few questions:

-will either one work for what I'm trying to do?

-what are the differences between the two?

-is there a difference between V.E. Bus and V.E. Can? Confusing terminology IMO.

Thanks!

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Boater

VE.Bus is a Victron proprietary bus protocol for communication between VE.Bus products such as MultiPlus, Quattro and some other devices. Not to confuse with VE.Can, which is a J1939 based CAN-bus protocol just like NMEA 2000 is. So a VE.Can to NMEA 2000 adapter cable cannot be used between a VE.Bus product and NMEA 2000. This is for VE.Can based products such as GX devices, some MPPTs and a few AC chargers.

If you read the product page for the VE.Bus to NMEA 2000 interface, you probably noticed that the interface is deprecated:

DEPRECATED: this interface cable is deprecated. Use a GX Device instead, it provides more and better functionality. More detailed information in this NMEA 2000 chapter. And make sure to read our Marine MFD integration guide as well.

If you want to connect your MultiPlus to your boats NMEA 2000 network, use a GX device (ie. Cerbo GX) and a VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable. The MultiPlus connects to the GX device via VE.Bus (a straight RJ45 connection) and the GX device then takes care of communication with the N2K network.

Hope that helps.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boater avatar image boater commented ·
Great answer by you!

Thumbs down for Victron naming one protocol VE Bus and another VE Can (-bus). Very confusing!

With your answer it all makes sense now though, thanks!

1 Like 1 ·
felixrising avatar image felixrising boater commented ·

I really don't understand why Victron just had to create yet another interface for their equipment. Ve.direct, ve.can and also ve.bus. there are already very good open standards. As a customer I find the need to discard my ve.direct cables/adapter's and buy yet another dongle/interface after spending thousands on the equipment just to be able to program/upgrade it, just a slap in the face. Either include the cable adapter or use a standard protocol!

XKCD said it best.standards.png

0 Likes 0 ·
standards.png (23.7 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic