question

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 asked

Why volts but no amps on a pair on 150/85 charge controllers

Hi everyone quick question I've added a second blue solar 150/85 both come up on vrm and ccgx but quick test shows 107v 1w master shows normal 3,4kw I've updated firmware ìve checked everything Evan unplugged leads from master to 2nd unit . I've googled it seems some people have the same problem but no fix. Very frustrating. img-20230107-125318.jpgImage Caption

victron community
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

Forgot to say I've checked setings on both they are the same is a tr and one a mc4 model not sure if this matters one using ve connect one using the USB victron adapter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

You forgot to mention if both mppts are running the latest firmware? Odd things may happen with different firmware..

What model if the new controller??

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @James86_9

Bit of a guessing game here with what you're actually doing. You mention Bluesolar unit, but your pic shows Smartsolar. In this case they are different, but we'll assume Smartsolar. Also, your "one using ve connect one using the USB victron adapter." I think means VE.Direct and a VE.Direct/USB adaptor.

It seems you're using VE.Can too, and that would require CAN terminators at the CCGX and the second mppt.

Best not to run both together. Nor be tempted to network the mppts with bluetooth as well.

I'd pull all the Can links and stick with VE.Direct for now. Reboot the CCGX for a fresh start. Your pic also shows 'Ext control', and that should change to the correct State if this is successful.

2 |3000

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

Hi thanks for your answer yes sorry smart solar my other set up uses the longer type chargers , anyways I did try and use without the ve direct cable bimut unplugged ot from the charger on the ccgx. I will try that and reboot . Can these two not run together? The mc4 one only comes with ve direct not can that's why I got the USB to ve direct as I run out of space on the ccgx. Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@James86_9

That Smartsolar listed in the pic has 3x available 'networking' options. They each have their place in people's various systems, but they're not designed to run together. If your other only has VE.Direct then go with that for both. The Ext. Control thing is another guess of mine. If you have managed batteries then that would be normal, and shown on both mppts.

0 Likes 0 ·
james86-9 avatar image james86-9 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Yes I have 8 pylontec 3.5kw setup with the can bus cable so it has its own bus incant get it to run stand alone with default settings so I'm asuming it's broken
0 Likes 0 ·
james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

Just an update I tried stand alone mode nothing connected restarted the device and nothing 3w bulk on 2 425w in parallel in full cyprus sun so I think it's toast.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@James86_9

Voltage but no amps from solar suggests a reverse polarity on the pv side.

2 |3000

james86-9 avatar image
james86-9 answered ·

Impossible from me had 2 bare ends tested with meter and put in unless I got sent a used one returned by customer on an online shop.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic