question

westen avatar image
westen asked

3 questions

Hello, I am new to the Victron community.

My configuration consists of 3x 12V 105Ah batteries (calcium lead/acid), 4 second hand 160W solar panels and a 100/20 Victron smart controller. So far I am very pleased with the Victron devices. I find the bluetooth apps very convenient and working excellent.

That said, I do have 3 questions regarding:

1) Read-out of available solar energy

I find the read-out of "potentialy available" solar yield is not displayed, only the drain flowing to the battery (bulk, absorbtion,float).

As far as I know, the only way to check the "potential yield" of my solar panels at any given time is to put a heavy drain on the load and then watch the displayed solar Watts going up.

Is this correct, or do I miss something here?

2) Harvesting excess Solar Yield.

I miss a way of "Harvesting excess solar Yield".

As far as I know my solar controller (20/100) only "harvests" the amount of solar Watts that is needed to stay in "float-mode" or climb up to this level.

Suppose I would like to harvest the excess solar yield to a second batterybank, or a waterboiler or whatever energy-storage-system?

Does the Victron controller help me going about tapping in to this surplus?

3) determining battery condition.

In the (very nice) app that comes with the 100/20 Mppt solar Regulator it tells me that (after a night of no solar yield) my battery is charged at 12.80Volts. Can I safely conclude from this that my (lead/acid) battery is in a OK health-condition?

Or would getting a BMV-512 smart be a good idea to make sure?

Also my apologies if I didn't fill out this "post" form correctly, I was lost for a while.

solar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello,

Welcome to the community.

Please start by reading the community guidelines:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/community_guidelines

And try posting again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

westen avatar image
westen answered ·

Guess I should have read these guidelines beforehand.

Thanks!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic