question

l1ma avatar image
l1ma asked

BatteryProtect Draining Battery When No Load

I have just installed a BatteryProtect in my 4WD to protect the second battery (100Ah start/semi-cycle). The BP is located right next to the battery with both the input and ground wires connected directly to the battery. The only thing connected to the load side of the BP is the cable to the fridge, located at the rear of the vehicle.

When I first connected the fridge it would not turn on until I started the vehicle, which I thought was odd. Upon arriving at my destination I have removed the fridge so there is no load on the BP.

Over several days I have noted each morning the second battery is down around 10.5V (it is always around 12.5V each night after driving around during the day) and the BP hasn’t disconnected the “load”, which is an empty cable running to the rear of the vehicle. The BP is set to disconnect at 11.5V.

I have disconnected the BP from the battery at night and in the morning the battery is still around 12.5V, so the battery is holding charge OK. I have put an amp meter between the two and it is drawing 1.3mA.

I don’t understand how a 1.3mA draw from the BP can drop a 100Ah battery from 12.5V to 10.5V in 12 hours. Also the BP not disconnecting at the set 11.5V is odd. Could this be a sign my BP is dead even though I have only just installed it?

Thanks, Mike.

Battery Protect
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@L1ma

You battery is dead. 12.5v is almost 100% DOD on lead acid.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack Alexandra ♦ commented ·
You meant 10,5V right?

I have SOPzS Batteries (24V/5880Ah) and at DOD80 (C120) the Voltage is around 21,2V. In the winter, the 21,2V are already reached at DOD60.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Michelle Konzack commented ·

You can cycle down that low, usually they dont last well. 50%ish is around 12v also they dont do well being kept in a discharged state.

Take care of them better if you want them to last. See Victrons book Energy Unlimited.

@Michelle Konzack

50% of capacity is basically dead on a lead acid the voltage drop off after that is steep.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers