question

chrispi avatar image
chrispi asked

Victron quality goes down and flaws…the whole new line gets extremely hot….

Get really frustrated with Victron lately, new products have flaws and don’t deliver what promised, especially the new smart line. They are all maxed out to deliver the rating at 20 degrees running extremely hot in the 60 till 80 degrees Celsius range but if it’s summer with 30+ throttles down means no reserves,common features for top of line products missing…

the Phoenix 50/1/1 Smart charger gets extremely hot above 70 degrees Celsius when charging LI with 50A and the surrounded electric cables are only rate 60 degrees Celsius which is the norm and common if not engine room, normal due to Victron…returned it as not acceptable and nowhere documented. 2nd how long will the electronic inside survive this longthermed???

So only solution was to get a Multiplus…I wanted to have charge and inverter separately, well not possible in a location with 60 degrees rated cable other then using a MP.

ThevDC2DC Orion Smart is already very expensive for a 30A but in reality throttles back to 25A (I have a very well ventilated location, coolest on the catamaran) after over 30min runtime and gets very hot too, you cannot limit the output current and the app also just shows just the voltage. Not acceptable for this price Victron, these are basic features for top of the line product, would not buy again…in expect to have the promised rating In typical all year round climate from 0 in winter to 40 in Summer is common for boats, RVs and off grid in Western Europe, I only get the rating when 20 degrees….means in low temp range I expect it to overperform like before Software throttling in 2020 to 39A, so it does 30A in 40 degrees longer then 30min and only throttle if I am above 50degrees. Like Winston cells, you always get the rated capacity, mostly 15-20% more but even the worst cell in the whole batch is 5% above rating, that’s what I expect from Victron too or lower your price on the new products…

Multiplus 2: derating and cheaper design through Backdoor then MP1 for just 100Euro less you get rusting steel case, 2 lower quality Transformators compared to a top notch ring one in MP1, 600W less peak, double sides SMD layout , lower spec semi conductors and values, smaller form=less cooling…again lower spec maxed out….wrong direction Victron…

MPPT 50/100 if remote controlled via BMS if remote cable gets disconnected MPPT switches on and potentially overload the bank. Charge is steered via BMS who shuts on/off the MPPT.very bad design if a remote functionality gets accidentally disconnected that the unit switches on, the industry standard is switch off…

Remote functionality is really badly documented in all products except of the DC2DC, spec, how to, range, adjustments (eg switch off hi/low)…gets more and more important with BMS and lithium. No adjustment of remote functionality possible. Spend days to figure the specs in several forums like DIY solar, Electroducus…the Phönix smart charger nowhere any information about remote functionality and specs.

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPhoenix Smart Charger ip43
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
There are quite a few generalisations in here. It would be helpful to break this down into individual posts. There's to much to respond in any meaningful fashion without the thread becoming unreadable.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Charlie avatar image
Charlie answered ·

I completely agree. Would you say that the Quattro is a better option than the Multiplus-II for hot climates or Victron is simply not the option based on your post?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You don't size any electrical gear to run at maximum in warm climates. ALL gear is rated at 25C and derates above that.

If you fail to take temperatures into account, that is poor design.

We live in a warm region, the inverters work fine, just don't expect the rated output at 35C. Size one up and life is good.

Any enclosed space is always going to be a problem, it is physics.

2 comments
2 |3000

Charlie avatar image Charlie commented ·
So buying Victron gets you on an unknown territory in terms of output. No specitifc output is guarantee if is different than the one stated on the datasheet. That doesn't happens with any of the competitors like Sol-Ark, Deye or Schneider.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Charlie commented ·

Performance is stated in the spec sheet at various increments.

If you like the chinese products stick with that, they have their own issues but don’t blame a product because you can’t do your research or spec it properly.

You’re also trying to compare two completely different architectures, the RS is a transformerless product like the Chinese ones you seem fond of.

Different performance, different reliability.

1 Like 1 ·