question

Anton Lord avatar image
Anton Lord asked

Spurious temperature reads SmartSolar MPPT / Battery Sense

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 with Smart Battery Sense

Currently testing a new rig for powering an art sculpture in a remote location. Am cheating things a little with a power supply in place of the solar panel to keep things charged while we test in the warehouse. Sense is 150mm from the MPPT unit (all in a weatherproof case).

See attached photos of the odd spikes we are getting on the temperature read :

img-0643.pngAny thoughts?

Will get some more data and see if there's a correlation with powering up or other. Will switch over to solar shortly just in case there's something else going on (and need to see how hot the enclosure gets)...

I’m surprised there isn’t a temperature sensor in the MPPT unit available for display.

Temperature Sensor
img-0643.png (131.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Anton Lord avatar image
Anton Lord answered ·

7e82a183-b26d-4cbe-a77e-ac9f9a7ad11d.jpegCan also make the fault repeatable - the first time I connect to the MPPT in a certain period (a day or so) the Battery Temperature hits zero then comes back.

Latest firmwares…

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anton Lord avatar image
Anton Lord answered ·

Some more info - if I look at the data on the Battery Sense directly there is no spurious data. So it has something to do with the Bluetooth / data exchange with the MPPT unit...

2 |3000

Andrew Instone-Cowie avatar image
Andrew Instone-Cowie answered ·

I have the same issue with the same components. SmartSolar 100/20, firmware v1.61, and Smart Battery Sense v1.13, both firmwares currently reported as the latest. Intermittent false battery temperatures spikes of 0C or 51C (and it’s always those exact values) in the SmartSolar trends, but Smart Battery Sense trends look OK. Any ideas?

2 |3000

Andrew Instone-Cowie avatar image
Andrew Instone-Cowie answered ·

Not tried it yet, but version of Victron Connect iOS app release notes includes “Fix: erratic values in battery temperature trend data (only applicable to SmartSolar”. Hopefully this is the same issue. Bluetooth firmware 2.44, app version 5.90, 2nd May 2023.

1 comment
2 |3000

Anton Lord avatar image Anton Lord commented ·
Let's hope so. I don't have access to the system with this configuration at the moment. Will try when it's back out of storage...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor