question

red-mountain-man avatar image
red-mountain-man asked

Victron comms-best path forward, starting small

Smart shunt 500 and Phoenix 48/800 on order, 4xchins12/100 and a powmr (500v PV) 48/5000/120, will want to add Raspberry pi (if they don’t exceed Cerbo in price :-)

Seems that a VE.direct cable will get data shared between Smart shunt and Phoenix, but smart shunt doesn’t pass frames across interfaces, right(?), so I can’t use phone to configure Phoenix with smart shunt alone.

it seems If I go for a Bluetooth dongle on the Phoenix, I can make a smart network, but then, can a raspberry-pi with Victron OS join smart network, or can solar-assistant join using Bluetooth?

Difficult to tell without hands-on.

Trying to weigh the benefits and liability of each interface… Bluetooth smart network, VE.direct, Serial, Bluetooth.

VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @red_mountain_man@yahoo.com

You need to define what you want from your eventual system. If you want a Cerbo/rPi centralised system for integrated control, networking, and VRM logging/features, the bluetooth becomes near completely redundant.

I'm wondering too why you'd want to network a Smartshunt and a Phoenix. What purpose? The VEDirect cable link between them won't work anyway.

Then you throw that Powmr elephant into the room and perhaps expect it to find some compatibility. Good luck with that.

I appreciate that this is actually what you're asking, and that you may well be on a limited budget. But you need to define what you want to do..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

red-mountain-man answered ·

Thanks, here’s a little more info.

I run an eu200i generator full time, when I’m home, which allows me to use lights, fan, screen. Big loads are washer+heater, dishwasher+heater, vacuum, induction hob, gas dryer. Generator struggles to start any of these loads, cleanly. My solar array will be fairly far away, which makes the high voltage PV a most desirable feature for me. Currently have 6x320watt panels, which can readily overload smaller chargers (>1sun) with reflected light off the snow, and cold temperatures. This was the incentive for the powmr including charger, on sale, with high PV voltage input. (Victron does not offer a charger which can handle a single string of these panels, with safety margin for cold temps and reflected light.) I can’t build a remote shed at the moment, to protect equipment from Alaska winter.

The smart shunt seems to have great capabilities as-is, and the Phoenix 800va was priced at a point where it may be able to meet my lower power needs—a few lights at night and possibly the blender in the morning, for example. I expect it to greatly improve my power situation. The tracking capabilities of the smart shunt, and the low draw of the phoenix inverter are key elements which make them desirable for me. The ability of the PowMR to charge my battery from generator, from solar, and to run washer, dishwasher, gas dryer, and vacuum while I play music, is a step up from being able to do only one of those activities at a time on gas generator.

Living off-grid, being able to query & observe the system from my phone, makes the Phoenix communication most desirable, over a fixed readout in another room.

I look forward to being able to configure precise charging and discharge parameters, which the smart shut will be able to measure—I just need to route that data between devices as easily as possible,

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@red_mountain_man@yahoo.com

Ok. I'm not really sure what to suggest here. There's nothing to 'network' in respect to one device using another's readings. What there might have been is erased by incompatibility.

What I think you'll find is that you won't look much at the Phoenix readings, it'll just roll on producing the set V and Hz. Might be ok to see what your small loads are using though.

Batteries are an offgridder's first priority. Coming off a genset only you might disagree, but you'll see what I mean. The SmartShunt a great device to keep an eye on them, and for you to see both chargers and main loads, of course in a (net) dc form only. The bluetooth app can do this pretty well, but whether it's worth stepping up to the full VRM treatment with a GX device is for you to decide. I'd do it - but I'm not you.

"I just need to route that data between devices as easily as possible" Your devices can't talk to each other..

2 |3000

red-mountain-man answered ·

Solar Assistant seems to offer this capability, to start and stop charger, shutdown inverter, etc., with info from various sensors, the smart shunt.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic