question

jaymondy avatar image
jaymondy asked

Product Request - Higher DC input voltage inverters

Love your brand and products, but when can we see Inverter/Chargers with Battery input voltages above 66V that can accept 82.8 or 90VDC all the way up to 345/360VCD.

Really would like to be able to have larger systems without the massive cables and voltage drop issues.

We are using charge controllers from solar at higher voltages,

You all know where this is headed, we want systems that can handle the new larger voltage batteries from the Model 3. Cheers!

feature requestinverter current draw
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sean avatar image sean commented ·

I agree, it would appear that 64v is the upper usable charge limit - this is restrictive when using EV packs.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, absolutely agree, & some day sure. But for now its too early to share any details.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

loxley avatar image loxley commented ·

Any idea on when you'll likely have any more details to share on the plans for higher DC voltage inverters? b.v.d

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ loxley commented ·

no - sorry.

1 Like 1 ·
loxley avatar image loxley mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the response, Matthijs.

In the interim, there are other solutions available (DC-coupling to 48v using an MPPT controller with HV battery as input, rather than PV, for discharge; using a charge controller for charge).

0 Likes 0 ·
jaymondy avatar image
jaymondy answered ·

@Sean At this point, I would be happy to get up to the 90's in VDC and run those batteries in paralell. Getting up to 300's brings in a whole different set of concerns and really i dont want to tread new ground in that regard. There are units out there that are industurial that can do this, but really these are in a feedback loop from DC Brake from VFD's and have all sorts of bells and whistles that are not in a focused product group in the non industrial sector from oil field ect or even aeronautical using weird higher voltages. I have 20 years experience with a HVAC manufacturer and worked alot with drives etc and really know enough to know limits do exist and not assume something cannot be doubled without incident or hurdle. so if yall want to test something out real world experience, even if its on the DL, feel free to reach out, i am going forward with a 90's voltage system in the next 6-8 months with an 8KW income power retrofit, for an off grid / E-Cat. with motors operating less than the common 20KW, with redundant systems.

I am sure this presents more questions than it answers.. And right now its still a moving target, but there is still time to figure out the details. Don't hesitate to reach out. I know there is a better way, its just a matter of time before its mainstream. 12v for electrical systems should have been abandoned long ago in automobiles, and never should have been used on most other applications, just on the principles of poor connection voltage drop, let alone voltage drop based on distance. Not telling you anything new i am sure, hit me up.

2 |3000

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

From a technical point of view such a product would certainly make sense.

From a business point of view even more so, because several other manufacturers - especially from Asia - flooding the market with HV batteries.

However, as soon as you go over 60V DC, there is a whole truckload of new regulations to take into account.

On the other hand, most 48V Multis/Quattros today go to 66V too and that's being exploited by quite a lot DIY guys. (18S batteries and the like).

So yeah, HV-capable products would certainly be welcome ... right after the Quattro -> Quattro II upgrade please at least to 10kVA. ;-)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic