question

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image

Would you buy a VE.direct extension cable?

I have wanted a VE.Direct extension cable before, but Victron doesn't make one.

I am not sure if it is possible or why it wouldn't be, but I though that before I asked I should make sure that this would be something useful to other people too.

So would you buy a VE.Direct extension cable?

If you would, how long would you want it to be?

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The cables in my system are quite long. longer than the standard ones. I guess 2 or 3 meters would be a good length for an extension cable. You wouldn't really want the whole run to be longer than 5 metres with the possibility of low level 3,3V TTL signals being carried on the cable.

The trouble with the JST-PH is that, as far as I know, there is no "crimpable" male contacts. The male parts are designed to be PCB mounted, thus soldered. If an extension cable were to be made it would need to soldered on the male end, which is time consuming and thus costly to manufacture.

I've always made up my own cables to the length I want with the female contacts and shells at each end which is easy to crimp.
It's easy for me to do because I have the tools, but I guess a normal person might struggle to do this or not wish to outlay on tools for a single job.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Yes if you are talking about one male and one female end to extend bluetooth dongle or similar,

Sizes, 1, or 2 meter and 5 meter would be a great addition to what Victron offers. I need a 1 meter right away. Talked to the folks at JST and they sell the parts but they need to be crimped according to the west coast sales rep and I don't have the tooling needed to do that.

2 |3000

technomadia avatar image
technomadia answered ·

If your end goal is to connect to a Venus or CCGX that is beyond the range of VE.Direct, you can use a USB extension cable.

In our bus we used this simple and affordable 10m active USB extension cable from the CCGX to the power bay: https://amzn.to/2GAojRZ

We connected it to a 4-way USB bridge: https://amzn.to/2tgjLsk

And then we uses the VE.Direct to USB interface for each MPPT:
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

This setup avoided us needing to pull two VE.Direct wires from the CCGX to the power bay, and it left room for adding more solar controllers in the future too.

Cheers,

- Chris

2 comments
2 |3000

Bill avatar image Bill commented ·

Interesting! Currently I am just trying to move a BT Dongle up higher in the Coach so I can connect to it from anywhere inside.

My local Victron dealer talked me out of buying the Venus twice now.. Says its overkill for my small installation. Just a couple of SmartSolar controllers (110/50 & 75/15) and SBS device for battery temp. Sure would be nice have all the solar info in one page though. -Bill

0 Likes 0 ·

If the budget allows, a CCGX and a BMV is awesome.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

I keep looking at the bmv specs. I have a Trimetric meter currently. (wish it had BT) Anyone know of a comparison chart between the BMV712 and the Trimetric? Currently I cannot come up with a good reason to replace it. Although I would like the bluetooth.

1 comment
2 |3000

Unless you have a CCGX or something that takes full advantage of the Victron integration, I think your existing shunt is probably enough.

0 Likes 0 ·
marin avatar image
marin answered ·

Yes, 5 m.

e.g. a product which has quite the limited standard cable length (LoRaWan module). An extension cable would make it easier to choose for the option of extending the V.E. direct vs extending the antenna cable. (In situations where the antenna needs to be far from the to monitor device, especially for chargers on board, which are often placed close to the battery bank)

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, yes would be nice. But only for the accessories with a fixed Ve.Direct cable.

The VE.Direct Lorawan and the VE.Direct bluetooth dongle are the only two products that come to mind; did I forget any?

For all other products, the max length cable that we produce, 10 meters, is the max length of cable that can be used without risking issues in the protocol communication.

As @technomadia said; the way to extend a connection when connection to a Venus-device, is by using USB extension cables, either just a high quality (= thick) cable; or a powered hub at a distance. But also here; eventually you’ll get vague, hard to troubleshoot and define issues.

2 |3000

Kienan avatar image
Kienan answered ·

I would use a much longer cable or an extension. If I could get one that was 20 meters or 30 meters, that would be awesome. If Victron would just publish a maximum length (in terms of maximum allowable latency) then I would even build my own shielded cable, but unfortunately, Victron hasn't seemed to publish anything like that.

I know that maximum lengths are impacted by 3 considerations... latency, interference, and attenuation. I can eliminate the latter two by using something like Cat 7 shielded cable, but I can't know if it'll work with the latency without figuring out which Victron engineer to talk to.

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
As far as I know it was tested internally and 10m is the maximum for VE.direct.
But if you need more you can use the VE.direct USB cable and a USB extension cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Indeed, 10m. If longer would be possible then we’d be selling it.

The issue is voltage drop / signal quality.

there is no latency involved.

longer cable might work, sometimes, but not always: so the same: pls don’t ask anyone in case you have issues :-).

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic