question

klann avatar image
klann asked

Cable specified in manuals

Hello peolple, in the victron manuals, it specifies that the installation must be done with flexible multifilament cable.
Each of the filaments must have a diameter less than 0.4 mm (0.016 inches) or a section less than 0.125 mm² (AWG26).
For example, a 25 mm² cable must have at least 196 strands (class 5 strand or higher according to VDE 0295, IEC 60228 and BS6360 standards). An AWG2 gauge wire should have at least a 259/26 strand (259 strands of AWG26). Example of a suitable cable: triple-approved class 5 cable (complies with three standards: the American (UL), the Canadian (CSA) and the British (BS)).

Where can I find this type of cable? In all the places I have asked, they do not know what type of cable it is (and I have asked in all kinds of places...reference electrical stores...on multiple internet pages. ..etc)

Regards

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Which cables are you talking about and what is the use scenario you are interested in?

In the UK, domestic installations are typically done with ordinary semi-rigid (7-strand) house wiring cable for the AC connections, and the fine-stranded flexible heavy current cable you describe for the battery connections. This usually comes as part of the battery kit or can be obtained from solar equipment suppliers and many Victron dealers. Welding cable is similar and widely available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dj-dulux avatar image
dj-dulux answered ·

Look up Tri-rated cable, or if not mechanically protected in conduit / trunking I prefer H07. I buy mine from https://www.electriccable.co.uk/index.htm as they do the bigger sizes /m. Both are Class 5.

Dupe...

1 comment
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
Thats who I got all my DC cabling form as well. 70mm2 and the 35mm2 cables.
0 Likes 0 ·
klann avatar image
klann answered ·

Thank you very much for your answers mates.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic