question

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx asked

ZeroTier in SetupHelper?

@Kevin Windrem, you've responded about ZeroTier previously that it could be added to SetupHelper to allow it to survive updates the way GuiMods does. Not being a code person... I've been hoping someone else would tackle this. Any chance you could add it?

Consideration much appreciated. =)

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I know nothing about ZeroTier and would probably not be able to develop a package for it on my own. Someone with ZeroTier experience would most likely need to build a version that runs on Venus OS. At that point it might be possible to turn that into a package SetupHelper can manage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered ·

Thank you for the reply, @Kevin Windrem.

Does the process @Vassilis Bourdakis documented here any difference?

I can certainly follow those instructions; but then it needs to be replicated with every update. You advised him there how it might / would work with SetupHelper, but that's still a bit beyond me.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The instructions require compiling the code and installing ZeroTeir which would need to be done with each Venus OS update. That's way beyond what a package managed by Setup Helper could do especially considering the compiler, etc are not included in the regular image (large image only).

So I'd say no to crating a SetupHelper package.

2 |3000

gregoryx avatar image
gregoryx answered ·

Ah. Thank you for clarifying. Was hoping there was a way to avoid the recompiling with SetupHelper. Much appreciated.

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

FYI I have zerotier setup on both my routers (Mikrotik and Teltonika) in order to get access to my remote location. It may be easier to just set it up on your router and create static routes in zerotier rather than trying to get it working within venus. However after a few days of testing, I turned it off as the overhead of zerotier takes up about 50-100mb PER day. I only have a 1GB sim for my remote victron install so that would chew through it pretty quickly. However I still have the zerotier configuration setup on the remote side and it could be enabled at any time should I need access.

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I have ZeroTier working great from my teltonika router as well, an RUTX-11.

If people want this on their device, then the simplest way is to get a copy of the VenusOS SDK. Search of GIT will give links as to how. With the SDK you can then compile any code and move the code into a package, either standard opkg or into a setup helper package. Someone however will need to maintain this.

Personally I would put an external router in that can handle the ZeroTier.

2 |3000