question

ste7of1 avatar image
ste7of1 asked

Inverter state control doesn’t seem work for “power on” mode from vrm

Multiplus 3K connected to venus os 2.92 on Raspberry Pi

64d7bc74-ca65-4833-9d17-535bce80ff7a.png

The image above shows the 4 ways that I should be able to control inverter state. If the inverter is on, i can set to the other 3 states (off, charge, invert only). However, if inverter is off, the only way I can turn it on is using the victron connect app (bottom left of image). With any of the other 3 interfaces, the buttons indicate the unit is on after pressing on and then refreshing displays but the inverter remains in the off state.

Michael Ziegler asked a potentially related question on Mar 16 2022 at 8:52 PM under the topic: “Control your devices in VRM showing incorrect inverter state” and i attempted to ask if this had been resolved but there was no response.

I have tried reinstalling venus OS and that did not help. The general settings for remote access/remote control are set to True. I would have to believe this isn’t an issue on a true cerboGX and touch control otherwise it would be a major issue. My reason for implementing venus was to allow my wife (not overly technically inclined) easy control of the inverter. Without this functionality I will just have to depend on Victron connect app as I have for the last year.

thankyou

Venus OS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Ziegler avatar image Michael Ziegler commented ·
ste - My situation was resolved with updates shortly after I mentioned the issue - so not longer a problem on my end
1 Like 1 ·
ste7of1 avatar image ste7of1 Michael Ziegler commented ·
Thanks for the update. My problem seems similar but can’t figure it out.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Might be a dumb question, but what is inverter restart voltage set to in the multi? And what voltage are the batteries at?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ste7of1 avatar image
ste7of1 answered ·

Shutdown voltage: 11.4, Restart voltage: 12.2, current battery level: 13.2 Also, shut-down on SOC is disabled ( i edited shutdown and restart after downloading settings via vrm)

Using victron connect, system will power on immediately, just does not respond to power control buttons (at least to turn on) when using remote console or VRM portal dashboard controls, even though displayed state of control indicates system is “on” after activated. Thanks for your comment

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I had a similar issue, my batteries were below restart. But the multi wouldn't turn on at all. Just a red warning light.

Guess it's not that in your case.

0 Likes 0 ·
ste7of1 avatar image ste7of1 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

doesn’t seem to be, but, thanks. So, to postulate, based on your statement, I should be able to turn system “on” after having turned it off using the available Remote “off” controls, correct? It seems that you are able to do that. I was beginning to question my premise even though I can turn on using VictronConnect.
I created a Node-Red flow which also allows me control of switch state, while the Multiplus is on (i can change modes from “on” to “charge”. ”invert only” and finally “off” as well as change input AC current limit. All works fine until I select “Off”, then it will not turn back on again (from my controls; same behavior as VRM and remote console). Not sure what else to try/change at this point.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ste7of1

You've found 4 ways to do this, but the Marine MFD app is another. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-app.html This should work fine locally.

Have you enabled the relevant stuff in VRM? In particular, this one..

1669526310413.png

1669526310413.png (25.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

ste7of1 avatar image ste7of1 commented ·

Yes, i have that enabled and While I can’t say with confidence, but, I believe I have all settings correct - even though, I must be missing something - what other relevent communications/access settings need to be set that I might have missed. The fact that other settings work, makes me think communications settings are ok, but, something can’t be right or I would be able to turn ”on” as well. The Glass Bridge MFD solution leads me to believe that I should be able to do what I am trying via the existing options. The video seems to show that unit plugging into cerbo GX over the ve.bus. My Raspberry Pi running Venus also, connects to the multiplus over the ve.bus using the MK3-USB interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I guess your problem is the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, try to remove it from the system.

Normally the VE.Bus Smart Dongle should go into "secondary mode" if a GX device (or Pi with Venus OS) is connected.
You shouldn't be able to switch the MultiPlus with the Dongle at all.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Smart_Dongle/en/operation.html

3 comments
2 |3000

I do not have a smart dongle in system. System is; Victron multiplus 3000/120 connected to Rpi/venus with MK3-USB (ve.bus to usb), and a BMV-700 connected to RPi with Victron ve.direct to USB adapter. There is a shunt (with the bmv-700) and a separate Zamp PWM solar controller connected to batteries, but, no communications from that, just passive voltage feed. Hardware wise that’s all. When looking at system with VictronConnect I do see an icon on iphone display showing “VE.Smart networking” …transmitting Batt Temp and Batt Voltage. I vaguely remember doing this (somehow) a year and half ago when i first set up system, but, not sure. After installing rPi/Venus, i did not attempt to change this as the system seemed to be working (other than this issue). Should I, or can I, somehow, remove/change this?

On a side note, I do have a switch connected to ground (via temp sense input) and the “charge current control” assistant set up to allow ”AC passthru” (and thankyou for that info you provided in response to a different question to someone on the forum). This is currently enabled (charge disabled) when I am “on” so I am in “passthru” mode, although i believe I disabled this and also tried, but, I may need to do that again, just to verify.

0 Likes 0 ·
ste7of1 avatar image ste7of1 ste7of1 commented ·

2ea10e90-69cd-41a2-b3fe-c03d02e02846.jpeg@Matthias Lange - DE My VictronConnect app does appear as shown in the manual (following your link) and does show up as secondary device, usually. Not sure it always says that though. You can see the network indicator is this screen capture.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Matthias Lange - DE Wait, maybe ignore my comment above/below. I went back and checked my purchases and i did buy a ve dongle (and only vaguely remember connecting it to my battery - which must be where my battery temperature readings are coming from). I will have to crawl into my system and verify this. As I suspect you are correct, and I remove this from the system, will this cause an issue with correct battery voltage/charging levels (which, i believe was the reason for installing it to start with, in addition to monitoring temperature).

After, thinking about this for a moment, i believe I understand, the ve.dongle was providing the bluetooth access/control from the VictronConnect App, which was my only means of communication with the Multiplus (I was using the MK3-USB strictly for ve.configure). Now however, I have added VenusOS control of system (connected via MK3) and the two different control options are potentially in conflict. Ve.bus and ve.smart. I will try removing as you have suggested (as soon as weather permits).

Regarding my earlier question about charge voltage feedback, will this be an issue and you (Victron) now have a new (?) product Smart Battery Sense. Would this work instead of the smart dongle to remedy voltage question or would this too cause a communications issue bluetooth connection?

…one last comment and I’ll quit editing this reply: after reading “ve.smart networking” manual it seems battery smart sense is not currently compatible with cerboGx which might cause the same issue, however, I guess now that I have the ve.direct cable to the BMV-700 (removing the original bluetooth dongle) and connecting this to the rPI/Venus, this should supply the Battery voltage info required by the system for correct charging (?) although it would seem I will need to connect a separate temperature sensor to Multiplus.

thanks for your help.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources