question

zw01 avatar image
zw01 asked

Solution for weak wifi signal EV Charging Station?

I have the following problem when setting up the Victron EV Charging Station:

When scanning for Wif-Fi networks, the EV Charger sees the Cerbo. When I want to connect to it, the message "An error occured during applying of new settings!" appears.

I think the problem is that the EV charger has a very weak wifi signal. At more than a meter away there is already almost no signal. If I stand behind the wall where the charger is hanging, there is already no signal at all.

It seems to me that the charger's wifi signal cannot possibly reach the Cerbo (about 4 meters away).

Is there a solution?

ev charging stationwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Chris Hill avatar image
Chris Hill answered ·

Have you thought about a wifi booster closer to the charger, you can also get Wi-Fi extenders which you plug in to the wall with a sender and receiver

Like these

TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapter Wi-Fi Kit, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot/ Extender, Wi-Fi Speed up to 300Mbps, 2+1 Ethernet Ports, No Configuration Required, Wi-Fi Auto-Sync, UK Plug (TL-WPA4220 KIT)
https://amzn.eu/d/hbfy8e3

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zw01 avatar image
zw01 answered ·

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I have tried that. But the charger refuses to connect to my Fritz! wi-fi extender.

2 |3000

zw01 avatar image
zw01 answered ·

Anyone from the Victron team here?

Things are really getting complicated now.

According to my supplier's technical service, the software my EV charger has a bug, which prevents it from connecting to my router. Therefore an update needs to be done first.

Updating via VRM portal is not an option in my opinion, because you have to disconnect the internet connection to contact the EV Charger.

There is another possibility: update over the internal web interface (available from v1.22). However, my EV Charger has v.1.19.

How can I update my EV Charger now?

2 comments
2 |3000

s-forsberg avatar image s-forsberg commented ·
Did you solve it?
0 Likes 0 ·
zw01 avatar image zw01 s-forsberg commented ·

Hello s-forsberg,

Apologies for the late reply. Yes, it has been resolved.
The EV Charging Station had a malfunction and has been repaired by Victron's service department.
The problem is now fixed.

0 Likes 0 ·
wolfmanjack avatar image
wolfmanjack answered ·

Hello,

I know that your problem is fixed but I would like to add my experience to this thread.

I had the same problem and I fixed it myself. Maybe it was not the same root cause but my problem was a micro wire from the wifi antenna shielded cable that created shortcut at the plug side.

With the help of a magnifying glass fixed on a base, I gently unplug the Wifi plug from the ESP-32 chipset, then I moved the micro wire with a cutter tool, scratching very very very gently.

WARNING : This is a very delicate operation, make it at your own risk.

I think you can also replace the complete antenna, or just send the EV Charging Station back to Victron.

victron-charging-station-esp-32-wifi-antenna.png

2 |3000