question

soundguy avatar image
soundguy asked

Voltage on input

Hi,

With the isolators connected as drawn, I'm getting 8.4V on the input of each isolator with the engines off. I have disconnected the input of both isolators and measured voltage on both B+ cables coming from the alternators and they are basically 0V. The grounds from MNB to isolator are #14. With only the B+ input cables off, I measure 8.4V on the input stud. Is there anything I need to check? Any ideas?

Thanks!

1669152846261.png

Argo FET Diode
1669152846261.png (20.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

Is this related to Victron equipment?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

soundguy avatar image
soundguy answered ·

Yes, the isolators are Argofet 100-3's

2 |3000

soundguy avatar image
soundguy answered ·

Additionally, If a ground is not connected, the input has around 24.6V

A disconnected ground does not affect the other isolator's voltage on the input.

2 |3000

dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

I'm thinking the Argofet is supplying a small voltage back to the alternator, so that the alternator knows there is a load connected and to supply charge when the engine is started.

Some alternator regulators will not supply charge without a battery connected. Some just damage the alternator regulator if there is no load on the output.

2 |3000

soundguy avatar image
soundguy answered ·

Thanks for the idea.

I'm going to measure current to ensure the isolators are doing their job.

2 |3000